valve spring compressor

dr47

Doing  lotsa engines on a stand...big C-Clamp style. C-style is used on all common older engines pretty much...V-8"s , sixes etc.

Doing valve work in the car...the smaller compact scissor type. Easier to use in that tight situation.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

• 2 years later...

Well, today I tried to pull my valve springs. 

This wasn't cutting it on my stuck valves.  Used Ebay purchase.  Says Zimm Mfg Co pat pending, no PN anywhere.  I ended up making it work by using a Channelock pliers to squeeze the handle.  Either I am old and have no grip anymore, those guys back then had monster grips or the valve springs this is designed for is even weaker than what I have.

20200325_181850.jpg

So I went to the parts store to buy a C clamp style one.  Not at Autozone, not at NAPA, not at the local mom and pop store, not at O'reilly's, not at Harbor Freight, I went everywhere in town I could think of.  No dice, had to order one.  This is getting to be monotonous.

I could find these all over the place though.  I already have two of these palm eaters and they won't work on a flathead anyway.

image_22167.jpg

Once I get it and use it I'll do a tool report on it for y'all.  In perusing this thread a lot of people show what they use, but a make and part number would be nice for the rest of use to find one for ourselves.

I bought one of the old K-D's on eBay. Well worth it. Sometimes in a tight spot (around the downpipe, if you don't have it removed) you can manage to use it upside down. Along with a valve keeper holder, the job isn't so bad.

This style is only used on over head valves... 

image.png

On 6/30/2021 at 8:51 PM, Sniper said:

Well, today I tried to pull my valve springs. 

This wasn't cutting it on my stuck valves.  Used Ebay purchase.  Says Zimm Mfg Co pat pending, no PN anywhere.  I ended up making it work by using a Channelock pliers to squeeze the handle.  Either I am old and have no grip anymore, those guys back then had monster grips or the valve springs this is designed for is even weaker than what I have.

20200325_181850.jpg

So I went to the parts store to buy a C clamp style one.  Not at Autozone, not at NAPA, not at the local mom and pop store, not at O'reilly's, not at Harbor Freight, I went everywhere in town I could think of.  No dice, had to order one.  This is getting to be monotonous.

I could find these all over the place though.  I already have two of these palm eaters and they won't work on a flathead anyway.

image_22167.jpg

Once I get it and use it I'll do a tool report on it for y'all.  In perusing this thread a lot of people show what they use, but a make and part number would be nice for the rest of use to find one for ourselves.

Sniper, mine is a Mac CF-17