Power Steering

Old Fire Guy

Hi folks, new guy just signed up to the site, but I've been checking it out for a while. I have a 49 DeSoto S-13 with a 360/727 and want to add power steering. I picked up a Scarebird disc brake changeover and will be adding power brakes at the same time. Since I'll have the front end off, seems like a good time to add power steering. I assume some people here have done it? Can you direct me to some sources (with pictures)? Thanks, Scott

Can't help with pics but what front suspension & steering does your car currently have...........if essentially the stock setup then the best bet would be to use some sort of power steering box that has the correct splined pitman arm or a pitman arm that will work with the Plymouth tie rods..........then you just have to get the steering box to fit and connect up whatever steering column you have or intend to use..........I am curious regarding how much work you have done to the car yourself as what you want is something that will require some reasonable mechanical expertise and whilst anything is possible if you don't have the experience, tools & skills then maybe you might be better to accept the "armstrong" steering till you get more experience..........there maybe pics of someones P/S but its not something that the everyday hot rod shop will be doing as our mopars are a little left field..............anyway Welcome aboard from Oz, I have had a 318 Poly in my 1940 since 1973 and have a Rack & pinion with "armstrong" steering and its not so bad...........lol..........regards......Andy Douglas  

Background: When I bought the car it had a 318/904 installed (quite poorly) so we (best friend mechanic and I) removed the front group and pulled the 318 and replaced it with the current 360/727, by fabricating proper engine mounts and re wiring everything from the firewall forward. I also removed the stock rear end and replaced it with an 8.75 from a 66 B-body, 2:73 open gearing. We actually shortened the steering wheel shaft/tube  a couple of inches at that time to get it out of my chest. The suspension is all stock, I was able to replace the dead shocks, and have the Scarebird disc brake kit to install. I've sourced most parts to refresh the front suspension.  I have already removed the clutch pedal and will be replacing the underfloor brake system with a hanging power brake booster, MC and pedal. I have also picked up an I-Did-It tilt steering column, and have already installed a Lokar floor shifter. With all that being said, yes, we have the mechanical, fabrication and welding ability to do most things 'in house' so the power steering challenge is not too daunting. I located a guy, Extreme Kustoms, locally (Menifee, CA) that is using a Nissan Truck variable power steering box on the late 40, early 50s Fords he works on. It has a long shaft to clear the frame and might work on my DeSoto. I'll check it out and post what I find. Scott ?

Several issues ago, Old School Rods magazine advertised an electric power steering unit that installed under the dash,  and had variable assist.  I don't know anything about the product, but it sure sounded like a good solution to a tight under hood area, much like my 39 Dodge.  Don't know the price either, but i can guess its not cheap.  If you don't have access to the magazine, but are interested, I''ll look up the company and contact info.  

brian b

The electric steering boost system used on GM cars starting early /mid 2000s looks like a neat add .  It installs between the wheel and steering box.  Controllers are available to replace the normal computer inputs and allow you to adjust the effort needed to turn.

more info:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2016-Buick-Encore-15-16-Chevy-Trax-Steering-Column-Electric-Power-Assy-OEM/293088732889?epid=12016744153&hash=item443d7326d9:g:wAYAAOSwGoZc2uaF:sc:USPSPriority!74017!US!-1

more info:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-Chevy-Equinox-Electric-power-steering-electronic-controller-box-EPAS/142461763061?hash=item212b61fdf5:g:DRQAAOSwr7tZfvQP

Edited by kencombs

1 hour ago, Old Fire Guy said:

Look on ebay, all the parts are available.  Probably less that 300 bucks total.

Thanks for the link. I looked into after market EPS, but was put off by the cost. The Toyota option looks reasonable if it can be purchased for $100. If you add an aftermarket column, then it might be cost effective to just go with the Uni-steer kit. There was a post on this site about using a GM box that had the same splines & travel as the stock box. 

2 hours ago, MikeMalibu said:

Thanks for the link. I looked into after market EPS, but was put off by the cost. The Toyota option looks reasonable if it can be purchased for $100. If you add an aftermarket column, then it might be cost effective to just go with the Uni-steer kit. There was a post on this site about using a GM box that had the same splines & travel as the stock box. 

I added some links to my earlier post above.  Just examples not mine.

On 5/19/2019 at 9:03 PM, Old Fire Guy said:

Hi folks, new guy just signed up to the site, but I've been checking it out for a while. I have a 49 DeSoto S-13 with a 360/727 and want to add power steering. I picked up a Scarebird disc brake changeover and will be adding power brakes at the same time. Since I'll have the front end off, seems like a good time to add power steering. I assume some people here have done it? Can you direct me to some sources (with pictures)? Thanks, Scott

I just finished adding rack and pinion power steering on my 46 Ply.. Wasn't too hard after I found all the right parts to use.

Hello everyone! I posted a similar question outside of this thread, but what about the chevy 500 series gear box? Another forum mentioned this power steering gearbox being almost a bolt in with a V8 swap...stated the splines matched up as well.

500 series.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm going to give the 02-07 Saturn electric assist a shot. (Found one on EBAY) Looks like I can splice it into the stock column.  I like the idea of NOT needing to hang a pump, switch to a PS box and running hoses.  I was going to replace the stock column, but if this works I get to keep the cool stock steering wheel and turn signal.

s-l200.jpg

Edited by Old Fire Guy
Added controller info. https://www.ebay.com/str/brunosteering