Looking for points and condenser for 48 Plymouth 218

First P15

Unless your condenser is bad, I would not replace it with a modern one, points are hit-and-miss with modern garbage...  Even though I went to electronic, I still scour the swap meets for NOS or older replacement ignition parts.  No flathead 6 parts anymore though....

• Thanks 1

As Tim mentioned replacement parts are specific to the distributor not the year.  Since it is much easier to change the parts on the bench or in a vise, pull the distributor mark the rotor position and mark the vacuum advance position so it will go back in correctly, then take the number that starts with an IAB,IGS, or other three letter combination followed by numbers. The that info to the store Napa, quality car care and car quest sellers re better sources than auto zone, advance etc. But that number is critical to getting the correct tune up parts.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, First P15 said:

Thanks for the good info. I’m pulling the dist tonight and matching parts tomorrow, hopefully. 

I make it a habit to record the original and current part numbers on anything like that. Then the next time I need that part I don't have to pull anything first. And sometimes you'll find years later that people can no longer cross the original part number but they can still cross the "current" number you found before.

If/when I need tune up parts for my '33, I simply look at my notes to get the current part numbers. I call the local auto supply in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon after their warehouse delivery occurs.

• Like 1

I know nothing ... what I think I know .... pull the distributor out and take it with you.

See if you cant lube it up and maybe replace the ground wire if needed. Make sure the vacuum advance is working and free.

Just general maintenance.

I pulled my dizzy, took it to the local parts house ... "Non Napa"

They looked up on their computer for the right set of points, they then looked at the model number and looked for a set of points.

They had the right set of points on the shelf, but compared to mine they were backwards and could not work.

And I am only saying, as it is  and only yard driving my truck, my points work fine. Is possible maybe someone swapped dizzy parts and created one out of two that worked for them at the time.

I honestly would not want to work on the distributor with it installed ... maybe if I was broke down on side of road would work on it.

Yep some distance have the points mounted on the opposite side of the cam than what mat would consider normal. The need to use the he old books. A lot of stuff got dumed down when it went onto the computers.