Starter Motor Went "Clunk"

So I was going to drive the truck to work today. I stepped on the starter and it engaged the flywheel as usual, but that was it; didn't turn over and didn't disengage.  I thought maybe it was stuck and tried rocking the truck in low gear, but nothing, still engaged.  Couldn't explore further as I had to get to work.  Just exploring the archives here, and thought I'd put this out for advice - could it be as simple as the battery (about 6 years old)j.  This is a 6 volt starter on a 12 volt system, though never ask much of it (starts easy).  Thanks.

48 minutes ago, The Oil Soup said:

That happened to me with a starter that was maybe a year past a rebuild, returned it and was told a faulty bendix drive was the culprit. They replaced it and has been fine for 2 plus years.

Thanks, I was reading a bit on the H.A.M.B site and sounds like that may be the culprit.  Any recommendations on who/where to have the bendix drive replaced?  

If it has 12 volts, I would take the plunger assembly off the top of the starter and check it for why it won't contact. The lever engages the drive, the button applies current for spin. The lever may be bent from use and not pushing the button far enough for contact.

• Thanks 1

Well, first thing this morning I pulled on the headlights and nothing.  Lifted off the battery cover - yeesh, what happened to that fresh clean battery I put in there four years ago (marked 4/15).  Then the cable clamps lets go when I tightened in the new battery, so back to the store for new cables.  Fired right up.  Have an extra bendix spring and gear if I ever need it though.  Thanks for the input, though, all good to keep in mind.