I need a new Heart

1949P17BC

My new to me 1947 P15 special Delux is in need of a transplant. We had the motor ready to pull out, when we decided to pull the head for grins, 4 cylinders full of rust, and I mean full of rust. If and when we tear it down we surely will destroy the pistons and who knows what the crank will look like. Anyone have a spare motor in the Midwest? Any thoughts?

I have a 218 here in central NY. Running when pulled, had noise (piston slap or broken pistons or maybe just in serious need of a valve adjustment) Crank turned, new mains, main seals, new rod bearings, oil pump rebuilt, about 5000 miles ago. 35 lbs oil pressure idling at op temp. 10 minutes of I 90. If interested PM me.

4 cylinders full of rust, and I mean full of rust. If and when we tear it down we surely will destroy the pistons and who knows what the crank will look like.

When I got my truck the head was laying in the bed and the cylinders were VERY rusty and full of an oil/water mix. I had to drive the pistons out with a large rubber mallet after cleaning the bores with a wire brush on a drill. A couple of them I had to drive lower with a wood block and a large hammer, reclean with the wire brush and solvent, then drive them back up with the rubber mallet. They eventually cam out with damage to one piston skirt. I thought the block was junk, but I took it to a machine shop and all it took was a .030" bore/hone job to salvage it. He also replaced all the valve guides and seats, milled the block deck and shaved the head. It runs nicely now.

Your engine is probably salvagable too.

Merle

Guest mudflap22

Don't know what you consider mid-west but if you want to come to Wyoming,I will GIVE you mine---pulled from 1948 Plymouth last year, stored inside and covered and was runnable when removed. It is an original ( not been rebulit) . I did not try to start it but was told from the former owner that it ran and it looked it had been running. It has about 89,000 miles on it.

Bruce