1950 Chrysler Windsor gear linkage

Lincoln L.

Bought me a 1950 Chrysler Windsor with the spitfire 6 in it. Got it yesterday and first gear and reverse work. I think 2nd and 3rd are linked wrong. The man I bought it from said his brother messed with the linkages and got them messed up. Since I’ve never had any experience with a 1950 Chrysler and this is my first time I need outside help on locating, diagnosing and fixing the problem so I can get this beauty out on the road! (PS- he said all the gears worked and he drove it 2 months ago up until his brother messed with it) also general knowledge and things to look out for with this motor would be appreciated as well! Thank you! 

welcome to the forum. I would think for some help on your issue, might be nice if you can post a photo of what you have.

I am sure others will be along with photos of what they did .... I have a pickup, sure the linkage would be similar.

Just seems like someone put something out of place, and a photo others will catch the issue and help.

Is it a 3 on the tree? I recently lost 2 and 3 year, what I had to do was adjust the nut that connects to the vertical lever on the transmission, it's a shorter lever. The linkage connects to the motion on the column that gets pushed in and out towards the firewall. (Not up and down down toward the roof) I had to back mine off and it shifts great now

It should have the 4 speed  "PrestoMatic" hydraulically operated transmission. 

Reverse is back and up like the standard 3 speed.

Shifter  pushed up  is Low range- provides 1st and 2nd gears

Shifter  pulled down is High range...provides 3rd and 4th gears

• Like 1