Brake Line Bending Tools

keithb7

I have tried my hand a few time replacing brake lines. Local auto parts stores only carry straight lines of various lengths. For example this week I needed a 22" long line to shape into a form I needed. They had either 20" or 30". So I  cut one end off, double flared it myself, and got to bending. The bending tool I have, I do not like. I struggle to get what I consider professional results. What hand tools do you use, or suggest, for bending brake lines?  

Mine looks like this. I curse the job, using this tool. Tips appreciated.

brake_line_tube_bending_tool.max-600x600

My bender looks a little different, someday soon I hope to get a chance to use it.

So I cant tell you exactly how well it works. I have used benders like yours in the past, they are awkward.

Seems like you wrestle holding the line still while trying to bend it, you almost need 3 hands.

This bender I think will work well, once I play with it and get measurements for radius etc...

It will be slow, using a wrench and cranking it down one turn at a time, this will also make it more precise.

I can put it in my bench vice to hold it, while allow me two hands to work the wrench and hold the line steady.

I did not shop for this particular model, is all my local auto parts store had. 

IMG_20190517_100642076.jpg.9bb167640d410ac9a0b9038b79535bc7.jpg

I replaced all lines in my truck with steel lines. I did it all. Today I only use the new soft forning lines. All fittings are machine formed, for me it's so much easier and SAFER. JMHO. 

Thanks folks. I appreciate the support. I did go buy a compact brake line tube bender. Same one seen below. 

I had to remind myself that bending brake lines is not like twisting bolts. You gotta add some finesse to it, like any art. It takes a little practice to get pretty good at it. I did one line yesterday on my 1998 RAM 2500 with the tool above. It worked, but the result was not great.  Today I bought this tool and built

line #2. Plenty of bends wrapping partly around the rear axle housing, up over the diff, then back down to the distribution block. The new tool

helped tremendously and the job went quick.  Must have been 12 or more bends, followed by another double flare. The new brake line bolted right back in. replacing of the old line easily.

That's 5 lines I've made in past year or so. I see an improvement! LOL. I need to pick up the pace and do more to stay sharp at this.

I am going on a trip tomorrow to view a 1938 Plymouth sedan. I may be doing more brake lines in the future.

8243834.jpg

Edited by keithb7