Gas gauge float tuning

greg g

Put in a new two wire guage, it shows just under 1/4 full when there is only just over a gallon or so left.  Last time I filled it the gauge was still showing 1/4 tank. It took 15.5 gallons to fill.  Considering a 17 gallons capacity, quarter tank should be just over 4 gallons.  So do I bend the float arm up or down?  Seems I should bend it so the float is higher so it will drop further nearing empty.  

That makes sense to me, Greg. Bending it up would drop the float. Of course, it would be a trial and error exercise. Too much bend, a bad reading, too little, again a bad reading. Gonna have to play with it a bit....

31 minutes ago, Cold Blue said:

That makes sense to me, Greg. Bending it up would drop the float. Of course, it would be a trial and error exercise. Too much bend, a bad reading, too little, again a bad reading. Gonna have to play with it a bit....

Been thinking about this some more Greg, and I now think you should bend it down. Why? I just bought a new two wire sender for my car, and I see how it works. The arm drops until it reaches the limit of its downward travel, and hits a stop. If your sender arm hits that stop, and it reads 1/4 of a tank, that means the float is too high. Bending the arm down would lower the float, as the arm had reached the end of its downward travel. Bending it up would make the gauge register an even fuller tank. Does that make sense to you? Does to me....

link to that subject, posted last year. I`ve drawn some pictures then to explain the relation between float arm and gauge pointer. Maybe that helps to understand how to bend the arm.

Worked perfect for me.Full when full. Empty when empty.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/47976-adjusting-the-fuel-sender-float/?tab=comments#comment-508910

Hope this helps ? Good luck ! Jan

Edited by PT81Jan

Gents,

I do Not want to sound high falooting, however, there is a section in your service manual on how to adjust your fuel gauge at your dash board.

Bending the float Rod sounds like the right thing, but the Service Manual addresses this issue in a completely different manner.

Jus sayin, I cant barely read. Livin in NC takes away my abilities to do such. L.O.L.

Tom