Figuring out wheel offset

Hello! I have a ‘50 1 ton that has a Rusty Hope disc brake set up on it (with 1/2 ton spindles). I’m starting to look around at rims and tires, but I don’t know how to figure out what offset I need, or how big I can go (I’m thinking around 18”). Google only brings up measuring what offset a wheel has. How do I go about figuring it out?

Thanks!

start with what is stock, normally in these years the wheels are neutral...when fit within the wheel well....what room do you have for fitting larger/wider wheels,  do not forget the front turning radius.  Modern wheels that are the most prevalent on the market are positive offset.  Utilizing them requires that one use a spacer.  Take your new found measurements, compare to the rim you have in advertised offset as these will naturally move the wheel closer to the frame, figure your spacer/adapter requirement.    Finding Negative offset wheels will be tough,  buying custom built well, your measurements better be dead on as you are now spending cash for a non returnable item.   In wheels and tire size study the charts as how the interchanging wheel size and tire ratio aspects come into play also, how going up in one you need to go down in the other to stay same/close revs per mile.  It is not hard, just take a few minutes.  Shorten the time in all this by finding what wheel you like, the see what you can do to make these work.

Ideally a line through the kingpin center to the ground would intersect a line through the tire vertical center.   So the tire doesn't 'roll' as it turns, just pivots on that imaginary spot.  Choose a wheel offset that allows that, or as close as possible given your parts combination.image.png.6c6a98c626f2a93fb47ff92e47e29145.png

google scrub radius for more info.

Too much offset can cause tire wear and an annoying tendency to move the steering wheel back and forth when hitting small bumps, especially on the edge of the tire..

• 2 weeks later...

I had the rusty hope kit on mine. It pushes the wheel out a little. After discovering that I actually had three different offset of wheel I ended up swapping in some cragar ‘soft 8’ black painted steel wheels with chome coffee can center caps. 15x8 with no offset, 31x12.5” tires iirc- possibly 33s in the back

09A91A5C-37DE-4FD8-B3AE-F10582345546.jpeg

Edited by Radarsonwheels