Cherry bombs are too loud.

casper50

Riding around today I decided that the Cherry Bomb glasspacks have to go.  It's not enjoyable to be listening to all that noise.  I don't have much room with the dual exhaust.  Anyone got any suggestions on a small muffler?  2 1/4" inlet and outlet.  The CB's are 23" long and 5.5" diameter.

with the lack of room....hard call..the turbo pancakes always seem to have the better sound to my ear.....cherry bombs have never sat well in my opinion on anything besides a shelf....there are tone samples online if you look...but none are really based on a flattie so could not say if of if not it would benefit you.

If I can get one to fit in the limited space I'd go for quite right now.  I will go out and check wiggle room tomorrow and see if I can get two of these in there somewhere.    https://www.autozone.com/exhaust/performance-muffler/dynomax-super-turbo-performance-muffler/285344_567314_0

my three window Dodge...but I admit...not limited with a flattie......lol         yeah yeah, this shot before the driveshaft went in...and yes, three heat shields installed, gas tank centered to the vehicle......these little details is what makes this a plug and play totally able to drop easily with no cutting...

p13.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I too cannot listen to a noisy droning  exhaust.

Messes with my hearing. More quiet is good. JMo

I have always found cherry bombs to be that way.....when the state I lived in many years instated a vehicle safety inspection, I was among some of the earlier licensed inspectors.  I had to fail a lot of car murdifiers on poorly done exhausts alone.  Scavenger pipes did not even phase me to check fail....some of the others I felt bad for the guy...but scavengers...they just reek of cheap and shortcuts.....

go to your local big box store, ask for the Walker catalog, there will be a number of mufflers that will be quiet and still look stock and be less invasive and easier for you to reaccomplish what you have already

I only have a single exhaust on my 48 Plymouth, but it sounds really good to me - not loud at all - but just a deep sound. Makes my straight six sound like a small V-8. Well, kinda sorta........ I used a Patriot Smithy's muffler. It is a bit smaller in diameter than Cherry Bombs, and available in a 2 1/4" diameter inlet/outlet. Do a search on Amazon; there are pics and dimensions there.  One thing about the muffler - the paint does not hold up well.  Hope this helps.....Blue.

DSC01880.jpg

image.png.1966efb4f797023cf05d2acc345513e2.png

This is a picture of Don Coatneys exhaust. I have done my very similarly, but, have no picture. It leaves lots of room for larger mufflers. I too started with the cherry bombs. They lasted one trip down the street. I eventually worked my way down to a pair of Walkers that still have some rumble, but, don't drone on. Most of my driving is over 45 minutes per trip. I'm not 25 anymore so quite is good!

• Thanks 1

You might want to check out Jones Exhaust's Turbo Tubes. They are turbo mufflers that are the size of a glasspack. They are not as loud as a glasspack, and have a nice tone. I have two of these on my 61 Galaxie with a 390, and they sound very nice. Definitely not too loud on my car, and they are a lot quieter than the glasspacks I took off. They sell a lot of sizes and I believe you can get them from Summit or other online stores. Getting the perfect exhaust sounds is a hard thing to do, its a lot of trial and error! Everyone has their own idea of how a car should sound, and it's sometimes hard to get it right. We have a glasspack on the 48 Desoto right now, and it sounds great at idle, but its a little loud driving it. I think I'll be swapping it for a different muffler soon also. 

I am running single exhaust, 2 in I'd all the way. The muffler is a Dynomax turbo flow.  It will talk when it's supposed to but is quiet at cruise. No rumble no drone, no resonance. I got it 15 years ago for around thrirty bucks at Pep Boys if I remember.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-turbo-mufflers

Edited by greg g