Crazy sound, then just fine

Russell Winje

Not sure where to even start.  Took the 1949 Chrysler New Yorker out for a fine ride to town today.  Ran like a champ.  Strong running, **** right, great brakes.  Drove into a friends driveway and in a turn I thought I had ran over a rock or pine cone and a thunk sound was followed by a whirling, buzzing sound centered under my seat.  I didn't think much about it a the time, shut the car off and went in for a visit.  About 20 minutes latter I came out and started the car, the whirling started again and in a few yards I shut the motor off and coasted to a stop.  The whirling kept going with the motor off, the car stopped, like a rubber band unwinding.  Then a clunk, thud and it was gone.  Motor started, ran great, shift perfect, brakes great.  And the car was the quietest since I started working on it nearly a year ago.  There had always been a bit of noise I always attributed to age.  That was gone.  One the 20 miles home it ran perfect, and quiet.  I have methodically drained and changed, with correct oils, the transmission oil and rear end oil.  The vacuum brakes work great.  The mystery is how it could make the sound of movement with the car stopped and the motor off.  Checked that the starter hadn't engaged, and it was normal, fine.  

Ever had this happen to you?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Under your seat. First thought is what did you have for lunch?

Second thought. Check your driveshaft for something wrapped around it.

blonde 4.jpg

All right, THAT picture is scary!!  Just a question regarding the '49 Chrysler, does it have an under seat heater that could be making noises? Just a thought.

John R

On 5/12/2019 at 7:13 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

look under the seat and verify if or if not, many got heaters put there aftermarket.....make sure you don't have a nest of critters living there...

Thanks for all the thoughts, I'll watch what I eat before I drive..... 

No heater there, very clean old car, top to bottom. 

As a note, the car continued after coming to a stop with the motor off, for about 20 seconds, then "clunk" and it stopped.  From there it was normal again,  and if possible, even more quite than it has been, which has been ever more quite since I started bringing it back to life. 

IMGP4275.jpg

IMGP4211.jpg

IMGP4294.jpg

• Like 1

Only thing that could keep moving rotating after engine shut down is the clutch driven plate in the Fluid Drive coupling.... possibly something in the lower bell housing.. big rat?

Some good thoughts.  I will keep my ears perked.  The started was a possible when it happened, but it worked fine before and after.  Still, I will keep an eye of everything.