48 Plymouth Radio Antenna and Cable

Cold Blue

Hey guys - I am repairing the original radio in my 48..does anyone have a source for an original antenna and cable? My car has a modern antenna and cable; the original cable was cut and the antenna removed....what a bummer. I looked on Ebay and elsewhere but no dice. I want the real thing. Thanks in advance!! Blue

first what is the location of the current or old position where the antenna base was mounted on the car?  Was it a single mount or a double mount. The double mount would have gone on the side of the cowl and on my 39 Desoto it was on the drivers side. The double mount has two mounting holes that would require to have two holes drilled into the side of the cowl. The original would have been cloth covered antenna cable but the modern is now rubber cable. You might need an adapter to fit into the radio metal housing where the original cable connected.  You can get original style side mount or top mount single that would go into the top of the fender.  The original  would have had the famous red-ball at the top of the mast but these if original are very costly to purchase.

My 39 desoto has the antenna under each running board and these are factory installed on my car. they look like lighting rods and this was call the roadway antenna and the skyway antenna is the type that is mounted on the cowl.

Anther style is the type that mounted on the center of the roof just above the division bar on the front windshield, also very expensive to get as NOS. plus the potential of rain leakage into your car.c

Hope this helps.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Rich - my car has a single mount antenna that mounts on top of the cowl on the drivers side, single hole. The cable, that was plugged into the radio (that was cut) was a rubber cable. In reading your reply, am I to believe that the original cable should have been cloth covered? Would you know if a modern cable would work on the radio? I have a modern one, but it would need an adapter to be able to plug it in to the radio, but finding an adapter seems impossible??? Maybe I will contact one of those vintage radio repair shops and do some inquiry....Thanks Rich.

I had the same (driver's side cowl mounted) antenna, but some time during the 3 decades it sat in storage (while I was out of the country for 18 years, and then living across the country for the last 15) the part of the antenna where the top piece slides down into split and spread out like the petals on a flower.  Before I wrapped the car to move it across the country, I just cut it off.  I have the antenna from our 93 Chrysler T & C that I scrapped, and it threads onto a 1/4" - 20 threaded stub.  I figure I can solder a stainless bolt into the original antenna base, and most people won't know the difference.  (Not a show car I'm building at all.)  I just won't be able to push it down, either.

1 hour ago, Cold Blue said:

Rich - my car has a single mount antenna that mounts on top of the cowl on the drivers side, single hole. The cable, that was plugged into the radio (that was cut) was a rubber cable. In reading your reply, am I to believe that the original cable should have been cloth covered? Would you know if a modern cable would work on the radio? I have a modern one, but it would need an adapter to be able to plug it in to the radio, but finding an adapter seems impossible??? Maybe I will contact one of those vintage radio repair shops and do some inquiry....Thanks Rich.

Contact anyone that does antque car radio repairs and they should have the adapter for the end of the modern antenna cable because the new cable use a push in pin type and the older radios  cable connecter ususally had to tits and twisted into the mounting hole on the radio body.  These adapters should run about $5 dollars.

rich hartung

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

first what is the location of the current or old position where the antenna base was mounted on the car?  Was it a single mount or a double mount. The double mount would have gone on the side of the cowl and on my 39 Desoto it was on the drivers side. The double mount has two mounting holes that would require to have two holes drilled into the side of the cowl. The original would have been cloth covered antenna cable but the modern is now rubber cable. You might need an adapter to fit into the radio metal housing where the original cable connected.  You can get original style side mount or top mount single that would go into the top of the fender.  The original  would have had the famous red-ball at the top of the mast but these if original are very costly to purchase.

My 39 desoto has the antenna under each running board and these are factory installed on my car. they look like lighting rods and this was call the roadway antenna and the skyway antenna is the type that is mounted on the cowl.

Anther style is the type that mounted on the center of the roof just above the division bar on the front windshield, also very expensive to get as NOS. plus the potential of rain leakage into your car.c

Hope this helps.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I am glad that you mentioned the antenna location above the center windshield division bar. When I was in high school, one of the students had a P15 two-door with this type of antenna placement. It was the only time that I ever saw this style on a Plymouth and I was beginning to think that my memory was playing tricks on me as it does now and then these days. Thanks.

John R

I found a pic of the factory antenna in the P15 Parts Manual.  It was located on the curvature of the cowl (drivers side).  You don't see an

original for sale  these days.  There are some aftermarket antennas out there that will fit on that spot and resemble the original.  I have

one purchased at a swap meet for a dollar ... but I have not seen any more for sale lately.  The cable comes attached to them.  

Next is a pic of the antenna I have and the location.  The base looks like that of the original antenna.

I think dealers installed the antennas according to instructions given.  And some perhaps changed things on occasion.

100_0909.jpg

DSC00374.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

1 hour ago, BobT-47P15 said:

I found a pic of the factory antenna in the P15 Parts Manual.  It was located on the curvature of the cowl (drivers side).  You don't see an

original for sale  these days.  There are some aftermarket antennas out there that will fit on that spot and resemble the original.  I have

one purchased at a swap meet for a dollar ... but I have not seen any more for sale lately.  The cable comes attached to them.  

Next is a pic of the antenna I have and the location.  The base looks like that of the original antenna.

I think dealers installed the antennas according to instructions given.  And some perhaps changed things on occasion.

100_0909.jpg

DSC00374.jpg

That's what I am looking for! The mounting location is the same for my car. Guess I just gotta keep an eye out and keep searching....Thanks Bob!