Remote Starter Button

Conn47D24

apply voltage to your momentary switch by hooking to the battery supply, clip other side of switch to the solenoid contact...push button....make sure you are out of gear....make sure if you testing and don't want engine start to have key off.....or at least ground the dist. side of coil with jumper to ground.  (keeps you from jumping in and out of car to turn key) Jumper for quick test only...do not leave for long with points closed and the switch on...pulls a bit of current, heats the coil...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Not relevant, but perhaps interesting, my '37 Terraplane has a push button, with a threaded brass cap to protect it, right on the solenoid that is mounted to the starter.  I would imagine both the Hudsons and Terraplanes had that feature, for how long I don't know.  The original "remote start"..sorta?  Makes indexing the flywheel to check the clutch fluid, and to get to TDC that much easier.  Flywheel is exposed, timing mark is a star stamped on it, and it's timed off a mark on the bellhousing. Maybe not unusual for that era, but took time to get used to.    

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hate to bring this back up but wanted to get clarification on a remote starter switch.  I've got the foot starter on my 37.  Would like to use remote starter from engine bay.  I don't understand where to make the connection at the starter solenoid.  I see a single battery connection on starter solenoid.  Dont see anywhere else to wire up remote starter leads.

Can you help me understand?

Thanks 

The foot starters don’t have a starter solenoid. They have a mechanical lever that engages the bendix drive and closes switching contacts to drive the motor. When I need to crank over the engine from under the hood on my truck I just reach down and activate the starter lever by hand. 

I have a switch and start button on my suburban. It is very helpful. It won’t work if the ignition key is off. When I leave the car, I disconnect the battery. Just a safety action, dont have any more cats to burn down this shop.

Edited by pflaming

The other thing to do is to replace the wire from ignition with a jumper to 5he battery.   Put a toggle in it to control when you want the coil hot.  Also allows for shut down from your remote position.  

A friend has made a box he carries with him .  It's a square double outlet electric work box which has a power in wire with a momentary button for the solenoid  and a toggle switched line to power coils.  

Won't work on modern stuff with individual coil packs but is handy with 30s to late 70s vehicles.