'48 quarter window seals

woodrow

Im in need of replacing at least 3 of the rubber seals on the vent windows as they are either deteriorated or distorted and ugly looking.  In order for me to get them from ebay and have shipped to me in Canada it is just about $300 per set which is 1. ridiculous for 2 pieces of formed rubber.  2. not in my budget. 

Question is first are there and scrap yards that anybody can poi t me to in eastern canada or there abouts for used ones, which i know is a long shot. And doed anybody have any kind of solution to maybe making my own using a seal or rubber from another type of vehicle. I have already put an ad in the wanted section of this forum but it never panned out.   Thx.

there is no substitute for these that are going to seal and look correct and fit the body as designed.  Unfortunately some items are just big ticket.    Canadian post and customs as it is I know you guys pay through the nose.  It would probably be a wise idea for the Canadian members to collectively make quarterly orders for items such as this and avoid some shipping costs.  I think a couple of our north of border members have a US PO box for this reason.

I bought a set for my 47 coupe from Andy Bernbaum's.  Didn't fit correctly and never received a reply to a few emails.  Bought a set off of ebay from a private seller still in the plastic.  Only thing it said on the package was 46 - 48 Dodge and made in Brazil.  Fit perfectly.

FYI- This is just my personal experience for what it's worth (2 Cents?).

In case you decide to bite the bullet and decide to buy present day repro parts....

In '97 I bought some interior and exterior rubber parts from A Bernbaum and wasn't too happy with the appearance- some weld lines on some, flash and some surface imperfections. I have to be fair, that was a long time ago and maybe they have some new molding vendors since then, and I may have had an experience that they have since corrected. I have had good luck with a lot of other AB parts and I still buy from them, otherwise they have been good.

But. In '98, a club friend told me to try Steel Rubber Products and I have bought all my rubber from them since - and I have bought a lot of parts. Steele is also pricey, but I never had a single problem with either fit or appearance or premature aging as the years go by.

I looked for alternatives for my quarters too, but found no other solution. Gritted my teeth, pulled out the old credit card and bought 'em from Steele. They did work out great. No wind noise, no water leaks. In retrospect it was worth it.

Good luck!

And I will offer this experience I have had with both Bernbaums and Steel rubber...........I have been buying from Bernbaums for over 30yrs, both rubber parts and mechanical items and have always been treated fairly and have always had the correct items sent...........not so with those ******* at Steel Rubber............ordered by phone after checking their paper catalog a cowl vent rubber to suit the 1941 Plymouth....these are in fact the same from 1940 to 1948 both the USA and Oz assembled cars.............what was sent had the right shape in the correctly labeled plastic bag BUT had the wrong profile.....completely incorrect, in now way would it have sealed...........I rang these dropkicks and was told.............nope, not our fault, we never do anything wrong, couldn't happen.....we're perfect...........so I was out of pocket for the initial order phone call, the incorrect item, the postage and the call back to them......I am in Australia  yet I do expect to be treated better than those ******* treated me.......I now go out of my way to advise people of their customer service...........lol............my Oz 2 cents worth......probably only 1.5 US worth.........andyd

Just goes to show you we all have different experiences, for sure.

I have always maintained that the measure of a man, or an organization, is not in the mistakes they make, it is how they address a problem.

It is unfortunate we have all had too many bad experiences with different companies these days as we lose the personal care and considerations in our society.