Steering housing and shaft

Gabbe

Hello.

I am Gabbe from Stockholm, Sweden.

I have a question concerning my 1948 Chrysler Traveller. I have taken the steering housing a part and found 45 small needle bearings ( see picture ) with a spring. I can locate grooves in the bottom of the housing where the shaft goes in. I can also see that the shaft have some wear and tear where I suppose the needles have been.

Is there anyone out there on this great site that can guide me to how I can put this together?

// Gabbe 

IMG_20190506_184044.jpg

Gabbe.....if this is all you have I'd say that the spring is the remains of a leather or maybe rubber seal thats gone to valhalla, as for the bearings I would have thought that they would have been in some sort of bearing cage so for me that would be what I would be looking for..........and I'd replace the seal with a nice new neoprene one......maybe Andy Bernbaums maybe able to help.........have you a local engineering machine shop that maybe able to make a new bushing from Oilite bushing material which is possible, ideally get them to internally groove the bushes which will help with their longevity............whats the rest of the steering box like?...........and Welcome Aboard from Oz.........Andy Douglas  

Thank you Andydodge.....Cheesus is it that gone??!! There is nothing about this in the shop manual. Nothing on the inside of the housing. I´ll look into this. The rest of the box is quite nice. The bearings and cups are good. The worm. It all good really. I do not think I have to change them...but when I'm into it. Why not change the whole lot.

Thanx again.

// Gabbe

Aso I think that the steering box would be a standard type within the 1946-1948 Chrysler range, incl the Windsor, Royal, Saratoga & Newport versions of which the Traveller is just a different body on the same basic chassis isn't it?..........andyd 

7 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Aso I think that the steering box would be a standard type within the 1946-1948 Chrysler range, incl the Windsor, Royal, Saratoga & Newport versions of which the Traveller is just a different body on the same basic chassis isn't it?..........andyd 

I have a magazine article on the DeSoto Suburban that briefly covers the Traveler.  It's a Chrysler sedan, with a folding back seat and a cargo floor in the trunk.  Like my Suburban, but with two seats instead of three.  DeSoto had a similar version, called the CarryAll. The page shown below features the Traveler in the sidebar, and the Suburban in the other pictures. 

894064687_SIA(3).jpg.bc658cc2ae7db5997f764840f115ec21.jpg 

Never seen a needle type bearing in a 1946-48 Chrysler....have worked on lots of them.

• Like 1

Frank.... as I do too often ... I didn't read the OP issue carefully....

I re -read the OP's question and then saw the steering gear shaft and roller tooth....yes depending on model and production serial # can use an upper and lower needle bearing assembly. Most six cars use bronze bushings upper and lower for the sector shaft. .

The gear shifter shaft and upper worm shaft are the area's that do not use needle bearings on a 1946-48 Chrysler six or eight.

The small coiled spring as Andy noted...  looks like what's left of the lower oil seal.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:11 AM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Never seen a needle type bearing in a 1946-48 Chrysler....have worked on lots of them.

My 1947 Desoto Suburban which is on the large wheelbase chassis uses needle bearings. Also, one of the King Pin Bushings on the LWB cars is replaced with a needle bearing. The bitch on that is trying to ream the one bushing. It takes a special reamer that fits the into the bearing while cutting the bushing.  I found one on ebay after a lots of years looking out for one.

James 

Edited by James_Douglas
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Here are two PDF files, don't know if they will help.

It seems roller bearings where used on the bigger models, 7 pass and Limo.

Hilsen fra DK

Tack ska du ha. Den hjälper mig en del.

14 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

On 5/8/2019 at 9:43 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Frank.... as I do too often ... I didn't read the OP issue carefully....

I re -read the OP's question and then saw the steering gear shaft and roller tooth....yes depending on model and production serial # can use an upper and lower needle bearing assembly. Most six cars use bronze bushings upper and lower for the sector shaft. .

The gear shifter shaft and upper worm shaft are the area's that do not use needle bearings on a 1946-48 Chrysler six or eight.

The small coiled spring as Andy noted...  looks like what's left of the lower oil seal.

Thank you.