Paint details

JSabah

My 49 Plymouth woody is just about out of the paint shop and I can’t tell from my old pics (and my memory is failing me) if the under hood is to be painted car color or black (car is bone white). 

Also, the tubular seat frames for the rear and 3rd row looked to be the old car color (Rio Red/maroon) and I was planning on painting them the new car color. Now I’m thinking that there may be too much contrast with the original vinyl color. Here is a pic of another white car (not mine) that looks to have brown frames... anyone know what was original?

7536F63D-5823-46D7-B6E6-2A15F9445D74.jpeg

Edited by JSabah
Correction

Hi,

I just purchased a 1949 Plymouth Woody that is mostly original. 

I would have to look under the hood to see what color it is painted.

My car is the tan color and the seat frames are painted tan and are original - scratches and all. I don't know if the frames of the seats were painted to match the color of the exterior or not from the factory. I only have my car to go by.

Joe

Thank you. Please let me know about the Underhood color.... and do you think the seat frame color is a match for the exterior?  Would love to see pics of your car (where are you located?). 

Josh

Josh,

I have attached a few pictures of my 49 Woody. I won it in an online auction and had it delivered to me on May 1st.

It needs some work but I like it (and so does everyone else) the way it is.

I am located in Northeast Penna.

Hard to say about the seat frame color. I have looked at pictures and I have seen the dark brown and the tan like mine. It appears to me that the darker color(s) had the dark seat frame color.

Also, the 49 Woody was only offered in 3 colors. I know for certain 2 of them but not sure of the 3rd. There is an article somewhere that I read it.

#1 - Malibu Brown

#2 - Plymouth Cream

#3 - I believe Trinidad Brown.

plymouth1.png

plymouth2.png

plymouth4 (1).png

Josh,

I checked under the hood of my car.

There is a black undercoating sprayed on it I suppose to deaden the noise levels. This looks to be factory applied.

I did notice that towards the front section of the hood there was no undercoating and the color of the hood was NOT painted the color of the car. Instead it was the blue/gray color of all of the metal parts before they were painted. If you have seen NOS fenders you will know what color I am talking about

Thank you Joecoozie for the information and pictures.  And congrats on acquiring a nice, unique car.  From the pictures, it looks like your wood is in good shape which is important.  I bought myself a project (on line) and later found out that about 1/2 the wood was damaged or rotted, so I spent at least a year making templates and replacement parts.  My car was Rio Maroon (an original color for '49) but being in So Cal, I thought the off white was more "beachy".

IMG_5922.JPG

Looks good.

How long have you been restoring your car?

Mine needs some metal work - rockers, floor pan(s) and some other repairs underneath but I am not going to concern myself with those issues right now.

Did you need to do any rust repair on yours and if so where did you get the parts, such as floor pans, rockers, etc?

maybe a bit later on the answer, but back in the day there was a special underbody paint that was from a greenish to a grayish and on to a blackish looking paint.  The formula changed color from assembly plant to assembly plant and year to year in production.    This color was basically just referred to as ecosheen and I do not know if there is a consistent formula out there.  My cars of the era are basically greenish as from Evansville and I have my own blend to simulate the original finish.    Undercoating if in place would be a dealer applied option as a seller add on for a bit more money, buyers request or aftermarket pretty much any point in its life till yo got it.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

1 hour ago, joecoozie said:

Looks good.

How long have you been restoring your car?

Mine needs some metal work - rockers, floor pan(s) and some other repairs underneath but I am not going to concern myself with those issues right now.

Did you need to do any rust repair on yours and if so where did you get the parts, such as floor pans, rockers, etc?

Been working on it on and off for about 2 1/2 years (it is a hobby, so I'm trying to keep it fun and not frustrating).  As for the metal work, I had a little bit of rust on the floor pan in the front and some inner rockers that needed replacing.  I bought the front floor-pans as they were pressed to match (close) and just needed a bit of tweaking/extending.  As for the inner rockers, the supplier that I got the floor-pans from had me waiting an eternity for them, so I ended up just making them myself - they are straight sheet metal with some bends that I could do on a small brake that I have. I hope to have the car complete sometime this summer.