Coupe won't start.

casper50

I've been out of state for 5 weeks and hadn't started the coupe for about 4 weeks before that.  Came home on Saturday and tried to start it on Sunday.  Started but I forgot that it doesn't like much choke and it died before I could push the choke in.  Now I can't get it to start at all.  If I floor the accelerator pedal it almost tried so that the starter kicks out.  But it never does more than that.  Any ideas?

sounds like you did flood it....and everytime you press the accelerator you adding more fuel to the intake through the accelerator pump....you need to let it evap the excess fuel....ONE way to do that is to push the pedal to the floor and NOT LET IT UP till you start.....doing this cuts off fuel as the low volume of air going over the wide open carb throat will not draft fuel.  BE SURE you also disengage the choke for this procedure.   If you have don this for a long period of time, you could well have splash fouled your spark plugs.  

Remove the spark plugs. I have seen some that the gas was still a liquid between the gap of the spark plug which prevented a spark!  Clean out with compressed air and clean the gap.

Reinstall and presto, motor ran good.

Maybe clean the cap and points also.

Good luck,

DJ

Yes. I have had this happen in the past a few times. After trying repeatedly to start the car with no success, I had to squirt a little into each cylinder through the spark plug holes. You don't need to put in too much but it did start up afterwards. It smoked like hell for a few minutes but ran fine afterwards. Good luck to you.

John R

kick start it with a 12v battery or similar starter pack jump.  9 weeks with no start and you are cranking it hard, the old school not so much in the guts department 6v battery firing through ancient wires to a stiff starter probably can't send enough juice to get it sparking good.

Edited by Sharps40

Brand new wiring, plugs, rotor, rotor cap, points and rebuilt starter.  Turns over fine.  I put one of those plug lights that hook to the plug wire and then the plug.  Lights up bright every time if fires.

firing an external light is far cry from igniting a spark plug under compression that  is splash fouled......why keep chasing your tail, you have plenty of advisements that collectively should correct your problem and allow start of the vehicle...only you can make applications...

you saying you have pulled these plugs SINCE flooding....it cares not if they new....it cares not if they spark out of the block...it cares if it will fire under compression.....splash foul tends to define the last state...no fire when under compression...ie the replacing or through cleaning (usually a deep porcelain sandblast)

BUT are they clean and able to fire under compression...….cannot press this point hard enough...…but I guess you can do as you wish.....I think I would take 5 and ensure myself, when you do not know what is wrong....these tips here will prove what is right.....get it all right, you can't be wrong...

Have you installed a ballast resistor in you ignition system? The reason I ask is, if my memory serves me right, your ignition will fire on the primary circuit while cranking acting like it wants to start but when you release the key to the run position, which involves the secondary circuit, it dies. This condition usually indicates a bad ballast resistor.

Edited by Silverdome

So, if there is no ballast resistor in your ignition system, we can rule that problem out.

Have you tried firing the plugs out of the cylinder and checked for a bright blue spark? Weak or erratic spark can be caused by a bad condensor or a wire that is causing resistance. This resistance can come in a form of cracked insulation or corrosion inside the insulation or at the connections.

Have you poured a teaspoon or two of oil down each cylinder and cranked it over a couple of times to help the compression in case of flooding washing the cylinders?

Have you checked the carburetor to make sure the float and or needle are not stuck?