Trunk weatheratripping on '48 Plymouth business coupe

Daklomat

On the lid, the channel is designed for drainage. It will cause rust issues over time if exposed to the weather, because of the trapped moisture and debris.

I have two P15 sedans, a 46 & a 49 first series.  One is from Detroit & the other from Evansville.  Both had the weatherstrip in the channel (on the body).  I won't argue against the idea that it might well be better to put it on the lid (drainage issues, as already mentioned), but my guess is that it was originally installed in the body channel, unless there was a different approach on the coupes.  So it's up to your personal preference.  

Edited by Eneto-55

coupe, sedan and bz coupe are all different models...location changes per body style...the bz cp should have the weather strip around the perimeter of the deck lid itself and the seal is a soft foam rectangular shape.  By looking at the very design of the deck lid and the lower body of the vehicle, you can see that the seal is designed to butt against the lower standing lip of the body when positioned to the lid and lid is lowered allowing the rest of the channel to do just what it is designed to do...channel the water to the bottom and off the car.