You Tube Flathead Rebuild Series

The Way

I just watched all 5 episodes and really enjoyed it. This fella really knows his stuff and goes into pretty good detail. He did skip over a few things (water distribution tube for instance) but showed just how easy most of the rebuild is. Now, if I just had the time and money!

Once you've seen episode one the others are easy to find.

I too watched the entire series and enjoyed it. By chance I happened to take a compression test today on my '53 265 engine. I am preparing for the inevitable. This video series was timely as I went through the process again. I plan to strip down, drop at machine shop, then do my own reassembly.  It's been some time since I rebuilt an auto engine. Others, but not a car engine. The last one if I recall was a '76 or so Ford Capri V6 engine. As featured in the recent issue of Hemmings Classic Car. 

I think he goofed on two items...

Now that he has the crank and pistons installed he cannot install the rear main rope seal and check for proper seal tightness and drag

He also has not installed the four half moon crankshaft to flywheel bolts...he still can but the main cap needs to be removed to do so...

other than that he does a thorough explanation to help a first timer assemble  one of these engines.

• Like 1

There is a rebuilding manual in the download section of this website that is an absolute must read for anyone who wants to rebuild their engine. The video is nice, but, he does skip over some important items. Using both together would be the way to go, along with some great tips from the folks who contribute here regularly.

7 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I think he goofed on two items...

Now that he has the crank and pistons installed he cannot install the rear main rope seal and check for proper seal tightness and drag

He also has not installed the four half moon crankshaft to flywheel bolts...he still can but the main cap needs to be removed to do so...

other than that he does a thorough explanation to help a first timer assemble  one of these engines.

I did not see him mention installing the valve guides in an alternating up- down position.