Wheel Cylinders-Lube bores past pistons or not to lube?

I rebuilt the old wheel cylinders about 20 years ago and now in process of replacing lines, cylinders and all in order to do a complete upgrade. Pulling the old wheel cylinders, I noticed the ends of the cylinder bores past the piston ends had some rust- not a lot, but enough to show on some surfaces. When I rebuilt the cylinders, new shoes etc. at that time, I wetted the bores and piston seals lightly with brake fluid (I use Dot 3) during reassembly. All was good. Then the car sat for a couple long periods (over a ten year period, with less than 200 driving miles) before I was able to drive it more frequently this past year. I suspect during those times, condensation had formed inside and caused the light rusting, which in turn caused a wheel cylinder leak as I got a bit more wear on the previously new shoes. 

Obviously, the light coating of brake fluid alone wasn't enough to stop rust past the initial piston travel. So, I am thinking about wiping a slight film of rubber/ elastomer compatible grease on the wheel cylinder bores outside of the piston travel areas behind the end boots to help prevent any rusting in the future.

Of course, I need to be sure there won't be any incompatibility with my DOT3 brake fluid, too.

Suggestions?