Do I assemble now or later?

homer41

The question is should I assemble now or later? I got my engine back from the machine shop, the only thing that they did as far as assembly was to install cam bearings and put the cam in and the lifters and the valves. They did that as a present for taking so long in doing the machine work. I do not plan on running the engine for many month up to a year, should I assemble now or when I am more ready to run it? I wiped the cylinders down with oil and did the same to about everything. I guess it comes down to is it better off sitting disassembled or assembled, maybe 6 of one half a dozen of the other.    Dave

Check the valve guides for proper installation and assemble it.   Would be nice to have seen the guides and cam bearings go in to validate correct installation and clearances but probably about you can do is look down in the appropriate open valve to see if the guides are installed one up one down.   Run it in if you can, either way, pickle it and close off all the openings till you're ready to use it.

Edited by Sharps40

I faced the same question 35 + years ago.  Except I don't recall asking that question, because I thought I'd be running it before too long.  Marriage and living outside of the States kept me from it.  Still haven't started it.....  (People tell me I should go through it again now, before starting it.  So who knows?)

Homer........I'd assemble it if your have everything available, as Don says, leaving it unassembled only increases the chance of something being forgotten or whatever............assemble it and at least you then know that its ready to go..........have you got somewhere to ensure its kept nice & warm as I notice you are in Alaska............lol...........andyd 

All good thoughts, I may go ahead and assemble while I still remember most of it, the machine shop had it for over a year. With any luck it may be installed within a year. I just got the frame back from blasting and painting. I am going to stop work on it for the summer, I have lots of outside things I want to do, the car can wait for bad weather. I do have it in a heated building.   Dav

Yes, assemble then make a stand and fire it up. Always a thrill for me.   That way you know it runs and you can fired it on occasion to impress visitors who are curious about progress. 

Los Controls got the right idea.........use it as the central heating........lol............andyd

I to would assemble and fire it up. What if you had an issue and had to send it back to the machine shop. It may be another year to get it back.  So that's 2 years, and carry the one. That's to long..