EV Dodge truck

Is there where hotrodding will go?

Edited by maok
  • Like 2

I do see a future in hot rodding with electric and hybrid variants. Its the natural order of things - hot rodders want to add the latest technology to their rides to achieve some sort of goals and electric can certainly check several of the boxes in achieving them.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have talked about going down a hybrid route of sorts. The rough concept that myself and some of my friends came up with would have been one that leaves the factory engine in place, uses a modern manual transmission and then a modified transfer case to act as a combiner to join the power of the IC engine with that of an electric motor. We roughed out the idea to the point that we knew it would add about 100hp to the vehicle and cost roughly $10-15K. The downside was that utilized a control system that wouldn't readily allow the use of regenerative battery charging. Ultimately I decided not to pursue this route for the near future - but I won't totally rule out never doing something similar to this. I'm fortunate enough that I have resources with experience - some with Sunny Race back in the hayday in the 90s and some more recently with the Buckeye Bullet program - everyone thought it would be viable and very doable.

6 minutes ago, HotRodTractor said:

I do see a future in hot rodding with electric and hybrid variants. Its the natural order of things - hot rodders want to add the latest technology to their rides to achieve some sort of goals and electric can certainly check several of the boxes in achieving them.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have talked about going down a hybrid route of sorts. The rough concept that myself and some of my friends came up with would have been one that leaves the factory engine in place, uses a modern manual transmission and then a modified transfer case to act as a combiner to join the power of the IC engine with that of an electric motor. We roughed out the idea to the point that we knew it would add about 100hp to the vehicle and cost roughly $10-15K. The downside was that utilized a control system that wouldn't readily allow the use of regenerative battery charging. Ultimately I decided not to pursue this route for the near future - but I won't totally rule out never doing something similar to this. I'm fortunate enough that I have resources with experience - some with Sunny Race back in the hayday in the 90s and some more recently with the Buckeye Bullet program - everyone thought it would be viable and very doable.

Would it not have been simpler to just go all electric rather than a hybrid?

I started a conversion on a '84 alfa GTV over 15 years ago but money or time didn't agree with my imagination...☹️

• 3 months later...

Electric Conversions are more of a thing now that salvage Tesla and Nissan Leaf parts are becoming avaliable .   Tesla motors can be reconfiguired to replace a conventional Engine &  transmission   
https://www.electricenvy.com/?fbclid=IwAR2tA7oifTGuDk9ihTCroLZVIAcYObtYM7QOfzZk_FbPxLIEFGtzaM5J4z8

I have converted my 1973 LandRover to EV and is a huge success, done 8700km  over the last 2 years, now  100% reliable and  outperforms gas in every way.  The value Regenerative braking alone is worth it.     for those interested the build is here http://goingbush.com/ptev.html   

Im so happy with it I'm considering converting our otherwise original '49 Pilothouse .   I know a guy in NZ  is also converting a '41 WC12 to EV. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, goingbush said:

Electric Conversions are more of a thing now that salvage Tesla and Nissan Leaf parts are becoming avaliable .  .  .

Definitely looking like it's becoming “a thing”, at least outside of the US. I saw an article about it in the BBC news recently.

And, I guess if you have enough money to chop up a brand new car, you can make your own Tesla pickup truck too: 

6 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

I'm not a ferd guy but Henry had it right, make a car that the common worker can afford [model T] and he will buy it. If they would quit pricing electric cars out of Joe 6 packs budget he would indeed give it way more consideration than is given now.

if Joe would leave six packs alone his budget for other wants and needs would increase...upgrading to electric is just the next step in this hobby and will continue through anti gravity vehicles or whatever kind of drive system that ever gets developed.  But, regardless of what comes along, bread is still sliced.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

I'm not a ferd guy but Henry had it right, make a car that the common worker can afford [model T] and he will buy it. If they would quit pricing electric cars out of Joe 6 packs budget he would indeed give it way more consideration than is given now.

Not sure about where you live but the electrics aren't any more $ than the huge SUVs or trucks that I see most folks driving. 

7 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

If “Joe 6 packs” can afford a new pickup he can afford a new electric car. Whether or not the performance and cargo carrying capability of the EV would suit his needs is a another question.

With respect to Henry F and his high (for the era) wages coupled with low (for the era) prices allowing a “common man” to buy a car: Recall that that was an era where the price of automobiles was dropping with time while performance was improving. Much like it is today with consumer electronics. If you look at current trends, the price of electric vehicles is dropping and performance is improving while the price of gasoline vehicles has been rising. Even at present, forgetting any tax incentives, there are some studies indicating that an EV has a lower total cost of ownership.

Speed week started today at Bonneville Salt Flats. I wonder how many EV cars have ever trialed in the past? Roland Wiench of Great Falls,MT did an electric 1977 El Camino. When I saw it last year he had replaced the lead acid batteries with stackable lithium ion. It was a lot simpler and cleaner than all the cables. He did a stint with the military and finished his career with Air National Guard. A very meticulous man. He was my wife's uncle.

Roland Wiench's 1977 Chevrolet El Camino.html

• Like 1

Talking of Speed Week ,  when I went to get my EV LandRover  engineering certified for road use the test driver was one & the same Lionel West  of Bronze Aussie fame , he owns & drives the Worlds Fastest 4 door sedan at Australias version of Speed Week  https://www.bronzeaussie300mph.com .     Lionel said it wont be long till the Electrics start taking  the records like they have at Pikes Peak.

88voltb.jpg

Edited by goingbush
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure my Dodge will stay a Flathead 6  unless its a basket case, its been sitting in a barn since 1995 with the head bolts undone.   I wont get a chance to look at it for several weeks. 
Having said that,  having converted the LandRover to EV the Dodge would be a no brainer , we have access to better cheaper motors and improved batteries just 2 years on, the tech is improving fast. 

fargo3.jpg

fargo4 copy.jpg

12 hours ago, goingbush said:

Talking of Speed Week ,  when I went to get my EV LandRover  engineering certified for road use the test driver was one & the same Lionel West  of Bronze Aussie fame , he owns & drives the Worlds Fastest 4 door sedan at Australias version of Speed Week  https://www.bronzeaussie300mph.com .     Lionel said it wont be long till the Electrics start taking  the records like they have at Pikes Peak.

88voltb.jpg

Your photo reminded me that I wanted to ask you about the J1772 charging cable connector you are using. I was under the impression that it was a North American standard and that other parts of the world used something else. Is the J1772 also standard in Australia? Or is your use of it based on using some North American designed components?

1 hour ago, TodFitch said:

Your photo reminded me that I wanted to ask you about the J1772 charging cable connector you are using. I was under the impression that it was a North American standard and that other parts of the world used something else. Is the J1772 also standard in Australia? Or is your use of it based on using some North American designed components?

Good pickup,  I chose the J1772 because I did most of my research  at diyelectriccar.com  which is USA centric , and yes it seemed to be the standard at the time.   There is no standard in Australia & we are a shambles here & just tagging along behind the rest of world.  TBH  I could have used a Caravan / RV power inlet  as I mostly charge it via my 15A welder outlet in the shed.     I did buy a $350 adaptor that allows me to charge for free at a 'Tesla Destination Charger'  Incase I get caught out too far from home ,  have not needed it  yet.