Wireless Door Lock Actuators???

Still in the teardown process, but trying to plan ahead.  I've used the search function with no luck. 

I'm curious if any one has added wireless door lock actuators to their trucks?

The universal kits I've found seem to be straight forward in operation on a 12V system, and getting the wires through the door jam isn't an issue either.

Sample

Just looking for some input.

Thanks.

Eric

• 1 month later...

Yo Eric

I saw this topic go by a while back and didn’t have anything to say but I recently had my driver’s latch out to fix the linkage (sheared a pin thru the bar that connects it to the flat bar that goes to the handle). Now I have a little more understanding of the mechanism.

I put remote power locks on my ‘73 swinger about ten years ago. It was a cheap rf module from pepboys with a keychain remote and a little solenoid actuator. When I first saw your thread I thought of that but the unlock function on the latch needs the inside handle pulled. The force and travel required for that is a bit much for a cheap actuator.

After looking at the mechanism I think a remote lock/unlock could work if it was hooked to the blocker bar/tab instead of the latch opening mechanism. Check out the pic. An extension could be welded to the up-down blocker tab and wouldn’t need a lot of force to move it out of the way to unlock it .

CF82CDBE-3BA1-4400-B1B2-5831C836469D.jpeg

• Like 1

Whatever you do, make sure you have a way into your truck when the system fails...talk to guys that build hotrods where people asked for shaved handles etc...biggest complaint after is getting locked out from a dead battery, or a failed linkage that blocks the door from being opened manually.  I solved the passenger door lock issue with a locking door handle for the drivers side from Spenaur, looks original, fit well and now I have a key and lock that's more friendly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NiftyFifty said:

Whatever you do, make sure you have a way into your truck when the system fails...talk to guys that build hotrods where people asked for shaved handles etc...biggest complaint after is getting locked out from a dead battery, or a failed linkage that blocks the door from being opened manually.  I solved the passenger door lock issue with a locking door handle for the drivers side from Spenaur, looks original, fit well and now I have a key and lock that's more friendly.

Radar, thanks for the input on a better understanding of the lock operation.

Nifty,

I've read about others finding door latches from an Aussie drivers door to put locks on the driver side too.  My question now is, are there replacement door locks/keys available or am I looking at the locksmith to cut a key to my existing door lock on the pasg side?

I was recently posting on the hamb and somebody said they bought spaenaur locking handles. Google-fu showed me that’s a store not a brand but “spaenaur locking handle” brought up this cheap trailer handle that looks suspiciously close to our handles- two screw mount, 90° arm, and it’s keyed to the handle instead of additional linkages to the lockwork. 

I am almost inclined to buy a pair just so they match. The compromise you’d make is carrying two door keys- have to mark one to be the driver’s side or forego chivalry when the pass side always needs to be unlocked from the inside. 

Of course I have no idea if the handles are scaled right for our trucks or look super cheesy or rust out semi-immediately. Sometimes an unusual part will blend right in but sometimes it is glaringly wrong...

Interesting though right? 

BE8BFF0D-9E96-4471-98BA-AEEC57991DAD.png

I also looked at the website and found a few options that I thought would work too.  One I liked best from the Spaenaur catalog was PN# 096-001 and 096-002 from the DB Series.

Mine are locking handles, and they definitely have better looking ones then the one pictured above, and the mounting holes are the same, only had to cut off a bit of the square shaft to match the original, but then that is preference, I think it can fit regardless 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NiftyFifty said:

Mine are locking handles, and they definitely have better looking ones then the one pictured above, and the mounting holes are the same, only had to cut off a bit of the square shaft to match the original, but then that is preference, I think it can fit regardless 

Cool! Can you post a pic?

22 hours ago, CO54 said:

Radar, thanks for the input on a better understanding of the lock operation.

Nifty,

I've read about others finding door latches from an Aussie drivers door to put locks on the driver side too.  My question now is, are there replacement door locks/keys available or am I looking at the locksmith to cut a key to my existing door lock on the pasg side?

locksmith if you want the keys to all match

My original psgr door lock was so seized I just left it in place and painted right over it, the cost for NOS was pretty much what my handles were, and I tried multiple times to get it out with the little screw, but it was stuck and stripped.

10 hours ago, NiftyFifty said:

My original psgr door lock was so seized I just left it in place and painted right over it, the cost for NOS was pretty much what my handles were, and I tried multiple times to get it out with the little screw, but it was stuck and stripped.

see the thread I did on replacing that little bastid....

14 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

see the thread I did on replacing that little bastid....

Too late now, would destroy the paint on the door.  I’m happier with my locking drivers door anyway, pretty hard to crawl over my console now anyway ?

9 hours ago, NiftyFifty said:

Too late now, would destroy the paint on the door.  I’m happier with my locking drivers door anyway, pretty hard to crawl over my console now anyway ?

I've pounded off the old screw thru the window slot as well.