Seperate OD from Transmission

rallyace

I must be an idiot. I have a 3 speed transmission from a 52 Dodge with an OD unit.  I am trying to separate the transmission from the Overdrive unit so I can inspect the OD and replace the seals.  I know about the two hidden screws that hold the adapter plate to the OD unit. I can get the trans and OD to separate about 1.5" and that is it. The OD input and trans output shaft appear to be a common piece, but the books and every other piece of information makes it look like they should be two pieces. I do not want to completely disassemble the transmission, so what am I missing here? Thanks in advance for your responses.

By my memory of these OD's and taking them apart it seems that the cluster gear in the drivers side of the main 3 spd.  box needs to have the shaft holding it in needs to be removed to drop the cluster gear downward into the main box to get clearance between the main shaft gears and the cluster gears for separation of the OD and main box.

Instructions are in the Plymouth repair manuals . Just look at the transmission section for the std. 3 spd. repair section for the how-to's for the cluster gear shaft removal.

DJ

also do not overlook the tapered pin which must be removed so the OD control shaft may be pulled outward.  You will find this next to the rail lock out switch ( if so equipped) 

and it  drives out from the bottom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2019 at 11:06 PM, dpollo said:

also do not overlook the tapered pin which must be removed so the OD control shaft may be pulled outward.  You will find this next to the rail lock out switch ( if so equipped) 

and it  drives out from the bottom.

I knew about that one.