Ideas on carpeting..

Cold Blue

Going to take the old worn out, falling to pieces, front rubber floor mat out of my 48. Gonna replace it with carpeting. Need ideas, or what you would suggest I do to create an access thru the carpeting to get to the master cylinder. Thinking about cutting a square piece at the MC and velcro it in place for easy removal? Or maybe something else? All ideas welcome!!

most shops do not make provision for the MC in their aftermarket products even custom trimmers UNLESS  you specify.  You can ask that there be a hole cut for the panel access, hemmed with binding tape  or serge.  The cut a matching insert cut with the correct size and shape carper on top also hemmed then tuck this into the opening on the floor and it should stay in place..

my shop would not entertain this cut and stand behind the carpet not getting frayed etc....the hemmed end is cut to tuck in place under the threshold and not interfere with the seat mount for easier access, note easier....not easy....so my answer to all this was....a remote fill for the master cylinder....requires drill and tap of master fill cap and plugging of the small vent hole in the corner of the square drive of that cap....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

remote reservoirs are out there for any budget...they are easily hidden out of place if that is something you do not want folks to see.  The can range from approx. 25-100 depending on if you want plain or fancy or wish for them to supply the line or custom bend your own which is best.....I bought a couple at a swap meet.....seems they came with some gear they were installing but used another style reservoir....snagged these new units for 5.00 each......it is a quick and easy mod, adds convenience and allow quick glance for fluid level thus you not guessing if you have enough fluid on reserve....I categorize them as an added margin of safety.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

remote reservoirs are out there for any budget...they are easily hidden out of place if that is something you do not want folks to see.  The can range from approx. 25-100 depending on if you want plain or fancy or wish for them to supply the line or custom bend your own which is best.....I bought a couple at a swap meet.....seems they came with some gear they were installing but used another style reservoir....snagged these new units for 5.00 each......it is a quick and easy mod, adds convenience and allow quick glance for fluid level thus you not guessing if you have enough fluid on reserve....I categorize them as an added margin of safety.

You snagged the new units for 5 bucks each? Where? 

I bought some carpeting from an on line suppier after installing my od.  Wasn't cheap was too wide and didn't fit the hump. With some trimming and the heat Gun I got it better but not good.

I believe the company was stock interiors, about 175.00 for the front which is all I got as the car is a business coupe.

Edited by greg g
  • Thanks 1

Plymouth Adams what small hole are you refurring to on the end cap of the master cylinder? is it the hole that is in the end cap that is on the inside of the threads of the end cap?

8 hours ago, Labrauer said:

Plymouth Adams what small hole are you refurring to on the end cap of the master cylinder? is it the hole that is in the end cap that is on the inside of the threads of the end cap?

Not the end cap. I believe he is referring to the fill cap on top of the reservoir. There is a small vent hole in the plug/cap to allow air in and out as fluid level changes.

10 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Not the end cap. I believe he is referring to the fill cap on top of the reservoir. There is a small vent hole in the plug/cap to allow air in and out as fluid level changes.

thanks Merle for added clarification, that was clearly pointed out in post number 2 to this thread....

Cold Blue,

I believe this Thread started with a Carpet referral request. When you go on ebay and type in 1948 Chrysler Plymouth Carpet from East Orange New Jersey you will see a listing with colors for your car. I believe its about $175 for a sedan. These people have been in business for over 45 years and seem to have the right stuff that fits. I have not bought from them but they have excellent feedback. I have heard guys up there speak highly of them. I would think they have been doing something right to stay in business that long.

I have lived here (NC) for 39 years and remember hearing good things in the 70's about them as I am originally from East Orange and have owned 1948 Chrysler's since the early 70's.

Good Luck!

Tom

• Like 1

On most of the MOPAR master cylinders...the plug at the rear of the cylinder is the same thread as the top fill.  I used the plug on the rear (some have one and some have two line holes) with a single hole and ran an inverted flare fitting and tube up to within and inch of the remote reservoir. I used a Titlon Racing remote as it is white plastic and I can see the level just by opening the hood.

An added bonus of the remote is more volume so that if you spring a leak instead of getting one or two pushed before you have no brake you get three or four before you run out of pushes!

IMG_0005.JPG

• Thanks 1

James........just a question..........why did you use the billet thermostat housing? and I assume that the ARP head studs are due to a milled head?..........any more engine pics?....& details......lol........Andy Douglas(what a great name, lol)   

Ok back to carpeting. My original carpet is made of two pieces sewn together. Large part under seat extends to the side under sill and covering both floors but stops at both side of domed part where transmission lies. Center part over the dome sewn the carpet under seat (broader piece sewed on), overlapped by ca. 15 cm over the sides giving easier access to inspection lids. Sorry for this explanation, maybe someone with better English can put better words.

I haven't found any companies selling or producing these.

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Like 1

Chrysler1941,

The above carpet from East Orange is only one piece. One for the entire front and one for the entire back. It is also loop carpet not hogs hair. Save your Carpet for patterns. One will have to sew the configuration you refer to above. I know of but 1 extant Company in Newark New Jersey (Bill Hirsch) that sells the hogs hair carpet and piping one can sew to the proper fit.

That one will either be you, or someone you pay to do the job. Good Luck.

Tom

• Like 1

i found some auto-boat carpeting in 2006, from a local carpet company, that was a close match to the hogshair carpeting that was still on the kick panels behind the seat.  I fitted the carpet to the hump as best I could, hand-sewing the joints.  The standard carpet had a flap with serged edges.  

282165948_cowlrightcarpeting.JPG.38f3b5da5d150fa55868937873ce8b88.JPG

My car.  I have to dig through ancient files to find an example of factory-fitted carpet. 

4 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

i found some auto-boat carpeting in 2006, from a local carpet company, that was a close match to the hogshair carpeting that was still on the kick panels behind the seat.  I fitted the carpet to the hump as best I could, hand-sewing the joints.  The standard carpet had a flap with serged edges.  

282165948_cowlrightcarpeting.JPG.38f3b5da5d150fa55868937873ce8b88.JPG

My car.  I have to dig through ancient files to find an example of factory-fitted carpet. 

Man that is one nice car! The dash is immaculate. Wish mine looked half that good....maybe in time...

Just purchased a carpet for my 39 Ply. Business Coupe from Newark Auto Products located at 23 Centerway, E. Orange, N.J.  Pattern fit good, they did not have the pattern for the small area behind the seat, however provided enough extra material to cover.  I plan on cutting to fit the rear area and then taking to their shop to have binding installed (fortunately I am only and hour or so away).  They have two qualities of carpet, recommend paying a little extra and get the better quality if you use this supplier.  It doesn't look like the hogshair, but rather that used in new cars.  

• 2 weeks later...

For my '39 business coupe I just went to the hardware store and spent $20 bucks on black outdoor carpet and cut and fit to shape.  I also bought some matching floor mats at Walmart, which set me back another $20.

FB_IMG_1557897822471.jpg

FB_IMG_1557898064225.jpg

Edited by Polsonator2

The previous owner had carpet put in with a foam mat. Spray glued the whole thing in right over the MC access cover and rust holes. Took me several days to scrap all that sh*t off. I was able to salvage the carpet.

IMG_1334-2268x3024.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, Andydodge said:

James........just a question..........why did you use the billet thermostat housing? and I assume that the ARP head studs are due to a milled head?..........any more engine pics?....& details......lol........Andy Douglas(what a great name, lol)   

I had it on for a while as I did not want to drill the stock neck for the back up temp gauge. Also, this unit can run a stock SBC thermostat which gives me more choices.

On Carpet, I got the wool from Bill Hirsh for the '49 CV and love it. Expensive you bet, but with a 1/4 inch closed cell foam pad it is REALLY quiet.

James