Eneto-55

There is an auction coming up near here that has a couple of old metal lathes to be sold.  The bigger one is too big for any place I'd have to put one, but there is also a small Craftsman model 101.  I know that a real machinist would laugh at one of those, but there are a couple of things I'm lacking - room, and money to spend on it.  I had hoped to get my wife's uncle's bench-top lathe (his auction was a few weeks ago), but someone else wanted it 'badder' than me. 

So, does anyone here have one of these Craftsman models, and if so, how much should i pay?  I know that it depends on the condition of the thing, and what tools go with it, but just a ball-park figure.  I have never had any training on one - just had some opportunity to use the one in our mechanics shop in Brazil from time to time during the years we were missionaries there.  So I can't judge the value of the tooling, etc.  (I only ever did very basic jobs on it.)

Craftsman model 101.JPG

I am not a machinist...I am a hobbyist, but I can say they handy as pockets on a shirt.....I have the smaller Craftsman 109 lathe.  It has a few accessories.  It comes in handy for some smaller things...I admit I use the South Bend 9A 95% of the time which when I bought it was very well accessorized ....last time I made a part with it was....just last night.    This unit appears to be in between in size.  But I just do not know what to say on the price...condition is everything and how well is it accessorized on acquisition.  Small bits can run some money building a tool inventory for the model. The very condition of the bed ways (carriage)  and the cross slide/tail stock tell the whole story.   Do you have the tools to test the run out on the bed.  The bed way on the smaller machine can cause you heartache if they are dirty...these little guys are very happy clean and polished and well lubed.     Check it out good....

I found a recent sale, This is basically the Atlas Model 618  which is 6 inch swing with 18 inches between centers....it was a 1400.00 asking on a recent rebuild.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Thanks 1

All of those Sears/Craftsman lathes were made by the Atlas Lathe company and that name later became Atlas/Clausing after purchase of that co. that also made lathes, I believe that was an older English co.. That was late 40's/50's if I remember right, these days never 100% sure! ?

Many parts for those for those old lathes are still quite available. Also many new style parts work on those also. The Chinese also make head-stocks etc. to fit if so inclined ☹️.

DJ

Like PA said, condition is everything. Check for excessive play in the carriage, head stock, ways, and cross slide. Make sure the tapper in the tail stock and head stock look OK too. I have a South Bend 9A that was VERY rough when I bought it. I paid $250 for it and picked up parts here and there to get it running like it should. I probably have $1000 invested in it plus tooling that I have bought. I'm by no means a machinist, but it's handy to have around. 

I picked mine up for a fair price I think including the cabinet and a ton of accessories.....also have the collet set. Cleaning up the unit was a lot of fun also and you get to know your machine very well doing this.   before and after pics.....

I also beefed up the lower stand and while you see wheels that was just to move it about..it is stationary....sitting on some very heavy leveling pads...

lathe before.jpg

lathe after.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 2

If you move on the lathe.....ask the guy if he had literature/ops manual/parts breakdown for the unit.  I also recommend an Audel Machinist and Tool Makers Handbook....this is a valuable asset for operation of your lathe.  I just lucked upon my second copy....got it for 3.00 at an estate sale.....and no, the cops did not follow me home though they had reason.   lol

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

If you move on the lathe.....ask the guy if he had literature/ops manual/parts breakdown for the unit.  I also recommend an Audel Machinist and Tool Makers Handbook....this is a valuable asset for operation of your lathe.  I just lucked upon my second copy....got it for 3.00 at an estate sale.....and no, the cops did not follow me home though they had reason.   lol

You have a nice looking one there.  The sale doesn't come up for more than a week yet.  I appreciate all of the comments here, and I've been doing some reading on lathes, too.  (I think I mentioned that I have only ever done very basic things in the past, and unfortunately it was quite far back in the past.)   From what I see on on-line sales, these things, even the small ones, go for more than I had thought they would.  I guess because a customer on mine showed his small Chinese one that he got at a surplus store ('new') for around $100.00, if I recall correctly.  I may have to decide which is more important to me, a lathe, or a pressure feed sand-blaster.  (I had a good one, but it was stolen from my brother years ago.)

Thanks.....in my opinion that Craftsman/Atlas will be the better buy but again if on bid/auction, many buyers think they worth a small fortune and will bid it up..... It should use standardized tools and accessories less costly and easy to come buy.   Those little hobby table top models will do a few small jobs....my brother has one of them.  I have a third lathe and if you think folks may laugh at what you looking at, this one in all appearance is a toy....but as a watchmakers collet lathe...it will surprise you...

I would suggest you watch your local craigslist or other venue for ads for you area and shop around.  Many of the lathes come from schools and such as they are upgrading to CNC etc etc....mine came from such location.   the cabinet is referred to as a Gunsmith Cabinet.  That is how I found my lathe after numerous searches.  I figured this one would clean up nice and best part was all the accessories...beat the bushes...get a good feel for what is out there, what condition/money they going for and be ye informed so to make a fair yet strong offer to the seller.  Carry an extra bod and loading aides...these things are heavy especially if on the table....the motor assembly is suspended in the left side of the cabinet...massively heavy.

• 2 weeks later...

The auction was this afternoon.  The huge lathe went for $200.00.  There were several machine shop owners that that I know well, and one of them told me he thought it might bring $300.00.  (That was before the big one sold for $200.00.)  I went up well past that, but stopped when it reached my "highest price".  I might have gone over, but it had not been used rear recently (judging from the grime on the ways, and all over everything), but there were still metal shavings down between the ways.  Some parts were covered in light surface rust.  And, there were wood lathe knives in the drawer under the lathe.  I had been doing quite a bit of reading over the last while, and some said that wood dust can do a lot of damage.  I don't know, but I let it go to the guy who wanted it more than i did.  Or maybe he just knew better how to evaluate it.

I did get a pressure feed sand blaster, however.  The one I had years ago (that was stolen from my brother) was a better one, but I bought this one anyway ($40.00).

A machinist I know who was there told me that he has a smaller one about that same size that he is thinking of scrapping, so I might see if I can get that one.  He says it's worn out, and I reckon he knows, but I figure I could get back in practice on it, and then I would not feel so uncomfortable with going in to a friend's machine shop & using his.  (He offered it several years ago, but I just didn't feel confident enough, since it's been so many years since I worked with one.)

Oh, there was also a huge surfacer that went for only $200.00.  You just never know.  I know that auctions aren't the greatest way to buy something like this (no opportunity to test it, or even hear it run), but auctions are really popular around here, it's just how almost everything gets sold.  Three times a year (in a town about 5 miles from here) they have machinery auctions.  It's an all day affair, with at least 8 auctioneers going all day, at the same time.  Most towns around with a cattle auction barn have the same thing.  (the rest of the time there are horse sales, exotic animal sales, etc.)

Later....

Now I have "reverse buyer's remorse" - Wishing I had kept on bidding....  So I guess I'll just have to hire the work done that I need.  A fried who was also at the sale commented that "I guess someone else just wanted it more than you", but I thought "No, he just had more money than I, or just didn't care what it cost."

Edited by Eneto-55
adding later comment