Spring start up woes

11 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Did you get him fixed and running for the weekend fun run? 

Yep swapped the VR and things were fine.  Not to mention the front end work I had done makes him a bit more stable at 60 MPH

Did you swap it with a VR you already had or did you purchase a new VR.  If you purchased new, where did you get it.  Also, kinda makes you wonder what went wrong with the old VR from the last time you ran it 'til your spring start up.  Did you remove the cover to see if there was anything obviously wrong with the old VR?

4 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Yep swapped the VR and things were fine.  Not to mention the front end work I had done makes him a bit more stable at 60 MPH

Would that be the Minnesota 60 mph or the real 60 mph??

• Haha 1

I had a problem like that, only the gauge stayed neutral with lights on or off. I went to my book and connected a ground from field at VR to base . I had charge. You can also jump field VR to field Gen. to test a bad wire. I was able to clean contacts on VR and bump up the voltage to 7.5 by loosening the screw on the side of my ARM. contact and tapping it closer. I had the batt. out today to pull dist. and put in a new condenser, because of a momentary stall situation the other day. After batt. hook up, it still shows charge. The book say's change VR with the field ground test, I'll see if my results change. I have bumped up the charge rate on my WD21 with an 8 volt batt. to 9.3 volts the same way. My VR's don't look like John T's. My VR's are probably original equipment and do not need bending anything to change charge rate.  

19 hours ago, Todd B said:

Would that be the Minnesota 60 mph or the real 60 mph??

as indicated by my wife modern following...FEF reads a little high so I was above 60 indicated on the speedo