Electric fuel pump again

Doug&Deb

I just got my Airtex e-8902 pump. I’m planning on just using it to prime after the car has sat and for the occasional vapor lock. The instructions are pretty vague. Can anyone explain in simple terms how to install this. I’d like to have it on the ignition side but with a toggle switch. I don’t want to be able to turn it on unless the key is on. My car is a 52 Coronet with 6 volt positive ground. I’m a barely competent mechanic so bear with me.

Best place is first put the unit as far back and as close to the gas tank as possible. These unit are a pushing unit not a pulling pump.  remember that you are 6v positive ground.  So the positive wire on the electric fuel pump will be the ground wire to the frame on the car and the negative wire is the wire that is wire providing power or electric connection to the pump.  Run a hot wire from the switch when you turn on the keyed switched to a toggle switch to the off side then run another wire to connect to the negative which is now really the hot wire on the pump.  Now you have a complete connection and when the ignition switch is turned on then you can flip the toggle swith and the electric backup pump will pump gas to your carb.  Also you willhave to cut into your fuel line and then connect the fp with gas rubber fuel lines to make the full connection.  This is how it was done on my 39 Desoto.  You also might want to put an inline gas filter just prior to the fule line going into the electric pump.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com 

• Like 2

I did much as Rich has noted but I'm not using the mechanical pump, so the elec pump is off the IGN. I put a rubber mount between the pump and the frame and a safety shut off switch on the oil line. In an accident, ifvthe engine stops running, so does the pump. 

Sorry to jump in like this, but has anyone needed to run a pressure regulator with their electric pump?

yes ,several times the pressure was to much for the carb. float and spilled fuel over.

Also found that cheapest regulator never worked as advertised. Spend a little more and all was well.

DJ

16 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

yes ,several times the pressure was to much for the carb. float and spilled fuel over.

Also found that cheapest regulator never worked as advertised. Spend a little more and all was well.

DJ

I guess I knew that already, but wishful thinking had a hold of me.  Off to Amazon again.

It can come up every week and the same folks have the same input....I used this or I used that and it seems to be exactly what most folks want to hear.  the hamb has nothing on this site when it comes to opinions and how-to threads....usually this site has few obscenities is the biggest plus (secretly I think the hambers come here for mopar answers then post it like it is their own thoughts.)....:eek:

• Like 1

I'm sure that no one steals ideas on the internet, that's just crazy talk.  ? 

Speaking of good places for information, I sure do miss going to inliners international.  Ten years ago the flathead chrysler scene there was strong.

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2019 at 2:28 PM, DJ194950 said:

DJ

I bought this in-line non adjustable (3 PSI) fuel pressure regulator several years ago,(hangs on a hook on the wall in my garage). Another one of those times when I've gone to a sale and bought stuff I don't need because it was cheap, $5.00 - probably too much. If I ever decide I should need one I'll buy something a little better quality... ? 

FILT-O-REG.JPG.8657e91137c25717eb48a6e976bed6fc.JPG 

Edited by T120
added picture