Body Panel Insulator/Seperator Rear Fender to Body 37 Plymouth

cturboaddict

37 Plymouth P4 Deluxe Humpback (4 door)

Pulled off the rear fenders today along with some other stuff in prep to pull the body from the frame. I noticed some sort of mesh/rubber material between the rear fender and the body. It has basically reduced itself to nothing. But I wanted to add it to my "to purchase" list during reassembly.

Anyone know what it is, and where to get a new replacment (or a modern product to use)?

I am assuming that you are talking about the fabric bead that filled the gap betweenthe fender and body of the car>  This is called fender welting.  The original was cloth. I used the black plastic style because it wilnot collect moisture and then casue th metal to rust.  Also with the lplastic it acts as an anti squeak filler and also you can get some polish it he black and it willcome off.

The only time that the fender welt would be painted the color of the car was only done witht he Airflow Chrysler and desoto's all the other time it was left black unless you got the chrome metal fender welting.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

Rich is correct, that stuff is fender welting, I use the black plastic version on my 1940 Dodge, its been there for 40 yrs so it lasts much better than the cloth stuff, I've seen it in 2 sizes, ie, 2 diameters of the round "bead", I think my car has the 1/4" version........I've seen it attached 2 ways.......one with the fender off the car, you lay it against the fender or body and mark & cut to suit........the other which is how I did it is to loosen the fender, mark where the first bolt would be then cut, insert and do up the bolt and just work your way around the fender...........whilst it doesn't collect moisture and in theory won't allow rust I wouldn't be so sure........if there is any bare metal on either the body or fender then its just asking for a chance to turn rust orange so I'd be painting that area or ensuring that its in good condition before using the welting.............any general restoration shop should have it in stock..............regards from Oz................andyd,    

P1000671.JPG

• Like 1

The old style cloth fender welting has the potential of collecting the rain and water when the car was washed amd the tab that went between the fender and the body is where there isa potential to get rust.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

My 46 had plastic welting installed when I dismantled it in 1980.  It had been painted over twice, but the original color was a sort of cream or grey tone.  (I believe I still have it someplace - will have to dig it out to look again.)

julianos rod shop.com has it in vinyl in several different colors.  It is stil available in rolls for Austin healey 3000 in chromed metal and canvass from british car suppliers.  The AH stuff is a smaller diameter than stock but only nit pickers would notice.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

Yup, that's the stuff. There was no "bead" on the outside (like the ones I see when searching), but that's to be seen for a car from 1937. 
Thankfully there was only minimal surface rust between the two surfaces, no wild corossion. I'm prepping for paint soon, so wanted to make sure it goes back together properly. 

Question, is the fender welting used on the front fenders as well? (Between the nose and the fender, and the cab and the fender?) Or anywhere else on the body?