Hood alignment 48 Plymouth club coupe

First P15

Looking for help on getting my restoration project. 48 Plymouth club coupe super deluxe, when I got it there were two wooden sticks taped to the cowl vent door to keep the hood from catching when opening and closing. Does anyone know what adjustments or parts would normally take care of this?? I’ve searched the forums but can’t find anything. Waiting on service manual to arrive but anxious to get this corrected. Thanks for all the input already on other posts. I love this site 

your first step to any front sheet metal alignment is to adjust the hood to the cowl.  Once that is done in a manner to provide a nice even cut line that will not let the hood catch the small rounded lip you can then adjust the dog house to the hood by manner of spacers (+/-) at the rad support and with shims if needed at the fender to rad support.  You also SHOULD have a welt across the top of the cowl for the hood to rest on.  This is an oiled canvas style originally and available by the foot per width and thickness.  

• Thanks 1

There were some models that had a rubber part glued under the hood to keep it over the welting.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/27/2019 at 12:42 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

You also SHOULD have a welt across the top of the cowl for the hood to rest on.  This is an oiled canvas style originally and available by the foot per width and thickness.  

Do you have a picture of this welt installed?  How is it secured to the cowl?  Is it a specific quality/thickness, or could I cut a strip of heavy canvas, secure it, and then oil it?

Also, on the topic of "hood"... for our '48 Special Deluxe, we need to make the center seam of the hood water tight.  The Service Manual says "Apply Heavy Sealing Putty to the underside of the hood around the chrome strip clip openings.", but not sure where they mean.  It would be simplest to apply a bead along the top side and hide it with the chrome, but would that cause any issues?

Here are pictures of the underside of our hood, and also the top view with the chrome strip removed.

IMG_4970.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

I would do it on top as you say otherwise water will stand in the opening and rust. Not good in my book.

Need to do my 50 Ply., same issue and stays outside. Standing water in the sparkplug recesses after rain and rusts them.

DJ

You may need one of these. I put one on my 48 problem solved!                                                                                                                                                                                 https://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1947-1948-1949-PLYMOUTH-HOOD-CENTER-BRACE-SPECIAL-DELUXE-P15-BRIGGS/173626741016?hash=item286cf5d118:g:Ge8AAOSwrwJbkl~o

I did locate the brace referenced above. It was missing from my hood when I got the car. I’ve got it installed and it corrected the alignment issue and also made the hood sturdier 

Thanks for all the information everyone 

I’ve been working nonstop on the room addition for the last 6 weeks Got 2 more weeks to go then back to the car

Thank you, DJ194859.  That's a good point that you make about catching the water if sealed from under the hood.  I'm leaning toward sealing from the top, hiding it with the trim.  I can't think of any problems with doing that, but maybe someone else has a different perspective?

Like your car, ours gets water pooling around the spark plugs too, if left out in the rain.

First P15... our P15 came without the hood brace too.  Has installing one make that much of a difference?  The $120 price has us waiting to see how it goes... or maybe try to fabricate one ourselves.