A new one on me!

austinsailor

Thought I knew a bit about cars. Found out I have a few gaps in my knowledge.

My 24 dodge brothers clutch was dragging and chattering when I take off.  Thought resurfacing it was in order. Being a multiple disk clutch, similar to a motorcycle, I knew it was going to be a bit different.

Come to find out the factory method to try first to solve this is - really - to plug the drain hole in the clutch housing, fill it with gasoline and run it a bit.

Once someone showed me an actual copy of the manual I figured, what the heck, it’s worth a try.

Plugged  the drain hole, pulled the floorboards and the inspection cover. Then I poured in about half a gallon of kerosene. No way in hell am I pouring gasoline in it to be flung all over! Kerosene ran out numerous places and I fired it up.

It was kind of like a pump gone berserk - spraying everywhere. Poured in more, ran it through the gears for a bit (rear was on stands) then shut it off. Pulled the plug, more kerosene ran out.

I took it for a drive. I can now shift from neutral to any gear with no grinding. Very little chatter as I take off. Slips just a bit where it didn’t before, but that was less after a 3 mile drive. I suspect with gasoline it would leave the plates not so slippery, if you didn’t blow yourself up, but I think the kero will evaporate in a little time and be fine.

What the heck will I learn next???

Edited by austinsailor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1