Noob

Davknz

So recently purchased 51 coronet bit of a turd however motor is pretty dialed in as in fires right up any was looking for an inexpensive rear axle swap , one that maintains 5x4.5 bolt pattern and is pretty much plug and play (if possible) I had a heck of a time with rear drums and they are  a bit pricey was looking for something alittle easier to source parts for . I’m building a bomb (lowrider) so not really worried about  keeping it original. Thanks in advance 

Given your stipulated criteria re: bolt circle – you’ll be focusing on Ford, or Chrysler products. However, that doesn’t include the big/older Lincolns, Chryslers, Imperials. I’d recommend getting a bolt-circle gauge – it’ll insure that the rearend you eventually select does indeed have the necessary bolt circle. They’re not expensive, and are readily available. Good luck . . .

11 hours ago, Davknz said:

So recently purchased 51 coronet bit of a turd however motor is pretty dialed in as in fires right up any was looking for an inexpensive rear axle swap , one that maintains 5x4.5 bolt pattern and is pretty much plug and play (if possible) I had a heck of a time with rear drums and they are  a bit pricey was looking for something alittle easier to source parts for . I’m building a bomb (lowrider) so not really worried about  keeping it original. Thanks in advance 

Several people have installed the Ford Explorer rearends.    I believe the 95 & up have the disc setup, and you can get different gear options.

Another option would be the Jeep Cherokee XJ rearends.     I have one with a 3.55, 1998 with drums, I hope to install to replace my Ranger rear 3.73 gear.

The Ranger has a narrow rear if you were to go with wider wheels.   A lot easier to replace parts on any of these options, than remaining stock, or  40 year old parts..

• Like 1