1947 Windsor not upshifting

Gophman

My '47 Windsor won't automatically upshift, I originally thought it might be electrical but I have checked the system and all seems well.....

If I remove the interrupter and build the revs up in 3rd I can see the piston slide forward in readiness for a shift but it never actually shifts into top so I suspect the hydraulic side is ok also. I suspect that for some reason the shift slide (or whatever it's called) just isn't engaging.

Are there any walkthroughs on inspection of this or will I just have to use the manuals?

Is your 10WT Non-Detergent Oil full in the Tranny? Is your Tranny Screen Clean?

Have you checked all your Electrical Wires and Connections? Also is the Fuse in your Tranny Selenoid good?

Just a small check list before a full on trouble shoot from the manual

Tom

All electrics work as they should, ditto hydraulic system.

I pulled the trans today and found a synchro ring out of position (two tangs not lined up with recesses) corrected and refitted and all working now! Two and a half hours we'll spent.

• Like 1

Just to clarify. You dropped the tranny? I assume removed the shift linkage and cover on the side. Found the issue by viewing through window that was created when the shift linkage was removed? Am right to assume the rear section of the tranny was not removed? Thx. 

Edited by keithb7

Odd that a direct speed blocker ring could change position.... the two tangs that fit into third speed gear should never be able to do that unless worn...if that was the issue.

• Like 1

Tbh I had the cluster out previously to replace the reverse gears, the blocker stayed in the trans an I didn't notice that it hadn't lined up correctly when I refitted the cluster and the car hadn't been driven on the road since.

• Like 2

Oddly, I sent my MTSC filmstrips into the Imperial club when I saw they were missing them for the 1946-48 M-5 transmission, but the filmstrip is no longer on their site.  but it is on the Youtube site.  There are two shows, one on How it works Special Kit A, and the other on How to diagnose trouble in Special Kit A1:  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1