Bolts holding radiator support to frame?

MikeMalibu

1949 Plymouth  radiator support frame has two 1/2 inch bolts holding the support to the chassis crossmember. They look like carriage bolts. Are they removable or fixed into the support? I’ve used PB Blaster and a hammer to try to tap them loose without success. Before I really go at it with heat and a bigger hammer, thought I’d check the knowledge here.

Welcome aboard from Oz............if the 1949 cars are anything like the earlier cars, certainly my 1940 model.......the radiator support frame is bolted down to the chassis or frame with those 2 bolts going into a section that you access the 2 nuts via an open area underneath the frame......you undo the nuts which ONCE the bolts that hold the engine bay side panels onto the radiator frame are also undone allows you to lift the radiator frame from the chassis WITH the 2 bolts sticking thru the frame.....on my car they are NOT removeable......those bolts, at least on my car are welded/attached to the radiator frame............note that my car has a couple of 1/8th plate "shims" between the radiator frame and the chassis........yours MAY also have the same.................anyway welcome aboard..........andyd  

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the misunderstanding. I already have the radiator support removed from the chassis and am ready to have it media blasted to remove rust.  That is the reason I want to remove those two bolts.  Can anyone else confirm that the two bolts are welded to the radiator support and cannot be removed without drilling them out?

I have never removed them even for clean up...they can be sand blasted...sleeve the threads with a rubber tube sufficient to stand up to the blasting.....then when finished, chase the threads for their personal hygiene with a die.  Unless you have a broken or almost destroyed bolt due to corrosion, there is little need to address this by removal.   I think otherwise, you will have to cut them out...