The Windward 48 dodge survivor

Bbdakota

Well....you've got the '48 to the point now where you don't have to work on it all the time, it's ready to go for the occasional spur-of-the-moment drive while you finish up the '58. Might oughta take down that classified ad before somebody wants to look at it......you will need something to drive to the cruises while your bride is driving the '58........   :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan

3 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Well....you've got the '48 to the point now where you don't have to work on it all the time, it's ready to go for the occasional spur-of-the-moment drive while you finish up the '58. Might oughta take down that classified ad before somebody wants to look at it......you will need something to drive to the cruises while your bride is driving the '58........   :)

That's true Sam. I've got the 48 as reliable as it's ever been while I've owned it. And I thought about how I'm going to miss taking it for a ride now and then..... and I will miss it! I'm thinking that will give me more motivation to finish the 58. As far as the wife goes, she's waiting for me to restore my 73 challenger (next in line after the 58). She's made that clear, that's the car she likes best. Maybe because it's panther pink. Either way, as long as the 48 hasn't sold, I'm going to enjoy it while I can. 

Took the car to meet the wife for supper after she got off work yesterday. Some guy pulls up while we are inside eating, walks around the car before coming in. Reminded me of a thought I had in the past about owning one of these old cars. If you don't like talking to people, you don't need to own an old car. Good thing is everyone who wants to talk to you about your car usually is very friendly. 

Some guy at cruisin the coast asked me if it had a hemi. I told him it was a flathead hemi. Of course, we were both joking around, I wasn't being a butt hole.

I looked at your classified ad and I think that's a great car for someone new who wants to get into old cars. A lot of good work has been done and the car is reliable and drivable as it sits. I hope to see a starry eyed younger person pick it up and keep the momentum going. These are so perfect for rookies, for many reasons. Easy to work on and great to learn about cars. In my opinion 4 doors are more fun for cruises with family and friends. Loads of smiles per mile and many memories can be made. I see no downside at your asking price. Good luck with the sale. Hate to see it leave you capable hands but...I get it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It was a beautiful day today and it has been a while since I started the 48. So long I'd about forgotten how much i like riding around in the old car. The wife and I decided to take it out for a walk. Got some breakfast then on to the grocery store. About every where we stopped or every light we stopped at we either got a thumbs up or comment. I wasn't ready to come home. Here it is warming up before we headed out.

20191124_074802-756x1008.jpg

• Like 3

As mentioned by a couple of people previously is there any way your son could get the car?...........its such a neat car and he seems to enjoy it immensely...........andyd

50 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

As mentioned by a couple of people previously is there any way your son could get the car?...........its such a neat car and he seems to enjoy it immensely...........andyd

He would actually love that but he's got a project i bought him and it's sitting with no progress being made. I'd still be maintaining this one if I went that direction and it would still be in my shop. But I'm not trying hard to sell it. It's not gonna break my heart if no one wants it. I really enjoyed the time in it today and I've got it to a point, I don't have to do much to it. It's very reliable now so it can sit in the shop until I'm ready to use it. I'll just keep enjoying it and focus my time on the 58. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bbdakota said:

He would actually love that but he's got a project i bought him and it's sitting with no progress being made. I'd still be maintaining this one if I went that direction and it would still be in my shop. But I'm not trying hard to sell it. It's not gonna break my heart if no one wants it. I really enjoyed the time in it today and I've got it to a point, I don't have to do much to it. It's very reliable now so it can sit in the shop until I'm ready to use it. I'll just keep enjoying it and focus my time on the 58. 

Glad to hear you got to enjoy it! Continue doing so as long as you have it!!

On 4/22/2019 at 8:28 PM, Bbdakota said:

I'm likely to step on a few toes for not trying to put the right carburetor on it but after fighting with wore out carburetors fir 2 years, I wanted to gamble on something new.....no regrets! I was a little sceptical about a knock-off no name cheap carb but it works and works well. 

I did the same with my 65 Dodge van. $75 Ebay YF knockoff and it ran better than it ever had.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Took the 48 to town for the last ride of the year!

Have any of you ever, while riding around in one of these old cars, imagined what it was like riding around 70 or so years ago in one of these things? 

A couple things come to mind as I day dream while crusin. 

1. The lights. It's hard to see the dash lights at night.....but, there's probably more light pollution on the roads today compared to 70 years ago. More street lights, more oncoming headlights lights, and the oncoming headlights are no doubt brighter. I do notice if I get on a dark road with no oncoming headlights, I can see the dash lights better. I imagine that's the way it was back then.

Another thing I think about is the roads. I imagine most roads commonly traveled to get from home to work or to the store was dirt roads so I imagine what it was like going to work or to the store 70 years ago in one of these old cars

So I like to picture what it was like back when these cars were commonly on the road.

Here's a shot of the dash lights on a dark road. And then back in the shop. 

20191231_181057-1008x756.jpg

20191231_181812-756x1008.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bbdakota said:

Have any of you ever, while riding around in one of these old cars, imagined what it was like riding around 70 or so years ago in one of these things? 

Scott, I think about that nearly every time I drive the car, that is why I really enjoy it. The gentleman who bought my car twenty years ago bought a new '48 Plymouth when he got home from WWII. He and his new bride loved that car and that is why he wanted another one after he retired. He passed away about six years ago and I bought my car from his family.

I think of him often and try to imagine being a survivor of the war with my bride by my side as we proudly travel in our new '48. Just knowing that I'm feeling the same feedback in the steering wheel and hearing the same chuckle from the flathead as they did makes me smile....every time.   :)

Happy New Year!

34 minutes ago, Bbdakota said:

Took the 48 to town for the last ride of the year!

A couple things come to mind as I day dream while crusin. 

1. The lights. It's hard to see the dash lights at night.....but, there's probably more light pollution on the roads today compared to 70 years ago. More street lights, more oncoming headlights lights, and the oncoming headlights are no doubt brighter. I do notice if I get on a dark road with no oncoming headlights, I can see the dash lights better. I imagine that's the way it was back then.

Another thing I think about is the roads. I imagine most roads commonly traveled to get from home to work or to the store was dirt roads so I imagine what it was like going to work or to the store 70 years ago in one of these old cars

So I like to picture what it was like back when these cars were commonly on the road.

Here's a shot of the dash lights on a dark road. And then back in the shop. 

20191231_181057-1008x756.jpg

20191231_181812-756x1008.jpg

Yes, definitely! I can say for sure that most of the paved roads in our area were dirt. My grandpa is 86 and remembers when they were built up in the 1940s, but were still only gravel.

The man that had my ‘49 Plymouth had bought it since he had one when he was dating/first married. I understand he died 18 or so years ago - I bought the car from his son who is in his 50s. 

Thanks for sharing the photos and thoughts. I love seeing your Dodge!

13 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

I think of him often and try to imagine being a survivor of the war with my bride by my side as we proudly travel in our new '48. Just knowing that I'm feeling the same feedback in the steering wheel and hearing the same chuckle from the flathead as they did makes me smile....every time.   :)

Happy New Year!

And think he might have been on a waiting list to get that car! Can you imagine that? 

28 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

And think he might have been on a waiting list to get that car! Can you imagine that? 

So after the war, people had to get on a waiting list to buy a car? Wow! Makes sense. I never knew that. About what year was the car shortage over does anyone know? 

3 hours ago, Bbdakota said:

So after the war, people had to get on a waiting list to buy a car? Wow! Makes sense. I never knew that. About what year was the car shortage over does anyone know? 

Yes after the war there was a much greater demand than the car companies could supply. Remember there was a short model run in 42 and no 43-45s. I don't know exactly how long it lasted though. That is also part of why the cars didn't change much for those years.

• 1 month later...

Took the 48 out for breakfast with the wife this morning. I guess I'm lucky based on the fact my wife enjoys the hobby of old cars and participates with me as much as possible. She goes to the cruise ins, car shows, crusin the coast and we have a good time together. I see a lot of men time and time again by themselves at the events. Don't get me wrong, some probably like it that way and I understand, but others, thier significant other probably could care less about the hobby. I feel blessed. No pictures, I'm the world's worst at not pulling out my phone for a picture to document events. My son gets on to me all the time about not taking enough pictures of my restoration project. 

• Like 1

We are fortunate when our wives support our vintage car addiction. Some of the best memories I have in my vintage cars are when my wife and I are sharing the good times. When spectators are oogling your car, and you're waving, as you go down the street maybe in a parade...Feeling proud and happy that all the time and effort you put in taking care of your old car, is brining other people joy. You look over at your wife/girlfriend/son/daughter in the passenger seat and see big hearty smiles...Does it get any better for an old Mopar lover? 

Edited by keithb7

5 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

My bride enjoys riding in the '48 P15 so much she really doesn't like for me to work on it anymore.......she's afraid I'll break it!   ?

Lol! I think I've heard the phrase "What was wrong with it?" Before myself! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife and I met in our 50s. Her father was always into old cars and was a judge at Hersey for many years. She went with him since she was about 10 years old. He had all kinds of old cars including Packards, a '38 Chrysler, Studebakers, a SAAB 3 cylinder 2 stroke (known as the "buzz bomb"). Unfortunately, he passed away just before I met my wife, so maybe I'm a replacement? She says if he had lived longer she would never see me as we'd always be in the garage working on old cars. She loves to go on old car tours when she can get away.

Pete

• Like 3

I bought another car! A 56 dodge royal lancer 4dr Hardtop. So much for more time to work on the 58.

Anyway, the wife and I spent some time today cleaning the 56 up for a cruise in this evening. My son wanted to take the 48 so we took both cars. My son mentioned several times how he loves driving the 48. Starting to work on me a little. 

20200215_164359_copy_756x1008.jpg

20200215_164508_copy_1008x756.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bbdakota said:

I bought another car! A 56 dodge royal lancer 4dr Hardtop. So much for more time to work on the 58.

Anyway, the wife and I spent some time today cleaning the 56 up for a cruise in this evening. My son wanted to take the 48 so we took both cars. My son mentioned several times how he loves driving the 48. Starting to work on me a little. 

20200215_164359_copy_756x1008.jpg

Wow....that is a beauty!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1