The Windward 48 dodge survivor

Bbdakota

Given your experience with this so-called machine shop I suspect if you had taken both manifolds bolted together that guy would have figured out a way to trash both of them.......

This wasn't your fault, you were victimized.......

Edited by Sam Buchanan

25 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

you were victimized

Victimized or not, I wish I'd never open this can of worms......

You ever do something thinking you're doing the right thing only to cause yourself a  lot of grief? Lol! I always try to find the good in any situation and the good thing here is what I've learned. 

Anyway, I took the ec52ply radiator out of the box, compared it to the original still in the car and confirmed what I suspected. The bolting flange is too far fwd, might work if one wanted to use a pusher electric fan. I'm going to cut the flange off, weld a new flange in the right location. The good news with this radiator is the outlet location appears to give enough room for about an inch bigger diameter fan. Yet to be determined, just an observation. Once I get the radiator modified, I'll document "how to" in the other thread I started on the radiator topic.

7 minutes ago, Bbdakota said:

Victimized or not, I wish I'd never open this can of worms......

You ever do something thinking you're doing the right thing only to cause yourself a  lot of grief?

No....never done that...............    ?

I would really like to fix the missing exhaust-to-intake gasket, but......the steel plate I wedged in between the manifolds is looking more and more satisfactory, especially since three of the bolts in the heat exchanger are already twisted off......

Hope you are able to put this saga behind you, pleasant weather will be arriving on the coast soon!

Sam,

Want pleasant weather? Come west and get your fill. 105 yesterday 103 predicted today then cooling down big time 99,98, 97,99-- - -- Not cloud in the sky!! Ever!

Where in the west? Almost all of Ca..

You can go to the San Francisco area though, Highs usually in the highs in the 60's, low 50's overnight.

Swim in the mid 50 -60 degree ocean water. Heat their pools year round!

DJ

On 8/26/2019 at 8:06 PM, Sam Buchanan said:

Hope you are able to put this saga behind you, pleasant weather will be arriving on the coast soon

She runs again! With a clean oil pan and fresh oil also. I'm of the mindset I've improved the car by not having the intake heated by the exhaust. 

Sam, I feel for you if you decide to remove your intake/exhaust. Yours may come off better than mine did but if bolts have already twisted off or rusted off on the intake to exhaust, I'd expect the worst. It can be done though. 

Now I'll tackle the radiator. Not a priority now because the leak is at the top, just leave the radiator cap loose and I should be fine. 

Great news, Scott, glad you were able to work through this. I may just continue to tolerate the small exhaust leak between manifolds....you would think I would have learned my lesson by now about fixing things that ain't broke......   

Yes, drive your car for awhile to get the good vibes flowing again before tackling another major repair.  :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Took it to town, all seems well except the exhaust flange has a little leak, I'll fix that later. The old girl will have to sleep under the car cover tonight, got the challenger on lift/in the shop.

20190831_182043-756x1008.jpg

Edited by Bbdakota
  • Like 1

She's ready for cruisin weather and cruisin the coast! Radiator made a difference in the running temperature. The old radiator would let the temperature creep up as the car got heat soaked even though I had a 160 degree thermostat. Eventually the gauge would be at the red, and every now and again, into the red a little. Never boiled the coolant. 

I took the car for about an hour in different driving conditions from hwy speed to creeping along and could not get the gauge no higher than 180.

I didn't realize the old radiator wasn't dissipating heat as good as it should. This new one sure does. As soon as the thermostat opens you can tell the air from the engine fan is hotter than before. 

Supper happy I decided to change the radiator. I got another thread I documented modifications needed to install a ec52ply radiator in a d24. 

20190907_171946-756x1008.jpg

20190908_101935-756x1008.jpg

• Like 1

From my ride around the bayou for a test ride. The water was slick earlier. 

Also, the bayou is filled with small boat yards. Here's one from Coden.

And a shot at the docked shrimp boats as  I crossed the Bayou La Batre bridge. 

20190908_101840-756x1008.jpg

20190908_102056-756x1008.jpg

20190908_102423-756x1008.jpg

Finally replaced the temporary coolant recovery tank with what I wanted. Since the car never came with a recovery tank, I wanted something unique. I swapped out the radiator cap that came with the radiator for a 7psi cap. With 50/50 antifreeze, I should be good to 240 degrees. 

20190914_121537-756x1008.jpg

20190914_121550-756x1008.jpg

Edited by Bbdakota
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2019 at 9:59 PM, tjlarson88 said:

I have to chime in and say that I am enjoying this thread very much. That Dodge is a fantastic car!

Thank you!

Today, my son came over while I was working in the shop. Normal conversation while I tinker. Next thing I know, he's climbed behind the wheel of the 48, started it up and says "get in" so we go for a ride. At one point, about 2 miles down the road he said "I love this old car". At another point he makes the statement "I just wanted to go for a ride ". 

That's the kinda moments, one day, one or both of us will cherish! Making memories! 

20190922_112622-756x1008.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Bbdakota said:

Thank you!

Today, my son came over while I was working in the shop. Normal conversation while I tinker. Next thing I know, he's climbed behind the wheel of the 48, started it up and says "get in" so we go for a ride. At one point, about 2 miles down the road he said "I love this old car". At another point he makes the statement "I just wanted to go for a ride ". 

That's the kinda moments, one day, one or both of us will cherish! Making memories! 

20190922_112622-756x1008.jpg

Good to see someone else in the younger generation enjoying these truly classic cars! I'm 30, but love the cars from the 40s and early 50s especially. It's nice you and your son can bond while enjoying the car together. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cruisin the coast 2019! Love it! I take a week off work each year at this time. I live for it each year! Keeps getting bigger each year. I put the 48 on the interstate for 60 miles this morning. Although I didn't pass a single thing, the car did great! 

20191008_103552-756x1008.jpg

• Like 6

Last day for cruisin the coast. I'm reading the number of registered vehicles this year was just over 8600. Car didn't burn a bit of oil, ran great, no problems at all. Lots of likes. Seams most of the cars are either restored or ratty like it was pulled out of a field, add nice wheels,  air bags, modern drive train and sometimes a coat of clear coat. To see what appears to be an mostly original survivor is not so common. That seams to be what people like about the 48. We had a blast. Now I got to get back on the 58 plymouth so it'll be ready next year. 

20191012_145603-1008x756.jpg

Well I've made a hard decision and decided the 48 has to go if I'm ever going to finish my 58. I thought I'd have the 58 done 2 years ago but I've spent a lot of time and money on the 48 during that time. We've really got attached to this car and hate to get rid of it. My son ain't happy about it. I've added an ad in the classified section. There's an easy $3000 worth parts I've put on this thing. 

On the other hand, I'll start a thread on this forum of the 58......

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Bbdakota said:

Well I've made a hard decision and decided the 48 has to go if I'm ever going to finish my 58. I thought I'd have the 58 done 2 years ago but I've spent a lot of time and money on the 48 during that time. We've really got attached to this car and hate to get rid of it. My son ain't happy about it. I've added an ad in the classified section. There's an easy $3000 worth parts I've put on this thing. 

On the other hand, I'll start a thread on this forum of the 58......

Sorry to read this. I've really enjoyed all of your posts about your Dodge since I found this forum back in June. If I didn't live so far away and it was in the budget, I'd gladly buy your car. Mopars of the late 40s are about my favorite. Maybe your son could buy it and that way you could still enjoy having it around sometimes. Hope it goes to a good home when the time comes.