The Windward 48 dodge survivor

Bbdakota

On 4/23/2019 at 3:33 PM, Bbdakota said:

Hi Dan. Wow you've had your 48 a while! I sometimes wish mine was a 4 door when we have someone or our dog with us. It's a little difficult getting in the back but once back there, very roomy abs comfortable. The carb I put on can be found all over the Internet for less then 100. A knock off of a Carter type YF originally used on Ford 250-300 straight 6. I had to cut the throttle linkage ball off since it was pressed like on and not removable. Then drill the hole just a little so the 48 throttle ball thingy would bolt on. I haven't even adjusted the idle, bolt it on and drive it. No problem with the fluid drive causing it to stall although I think I need to idle it up just a hair. I got a piece of 1/4" brake line to make the vaccum choke tube. The adapter for the breather is a piece of exhaust tube welded to an exhaust flare.

20190301_172105-1328x747.jpg

img1513919989416.jpg

Where did you hook up the other end of the 1/4" inch line you hooked to the choke housing. Should go to a heat source.  

9 hours ago, YukonJack said:

Where did you hook up the other end of the 1/4" inch line you hooked to the choke housing. Should go to a heat source.  

On mine, there's a heat shield type piece bolted to the exhaust And the tube bolts to that shield. More of a heat  containment shield. I can get a picture if you need. 

7 hours ago, YukonJack said:

Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Well that got me to searching the Internet and best I can tell, this was added to my car, possibly when the carb was changed to a carter wa-1. Looks like the original carb didn't have a vaccum choke setup. Also appears my exhaust was drilled and taped for the bolts to hold it on. There are 3/8" nuts used as spacers to keep the shield just off the manifold. The bolts holding it down are 1/4". I gotta say it works.....whoever did it had a good plan for back in the day.

I know my terminology for this type choke is wrong, I guess the correct terminology would be "automatic choke" there's a bit of manifold vaccum that pulls air up the tube and across the choke spring, if that air is heated, the choke reacts.

The wife and I was running late to the cruise in due to weather so we put the 48 on the interstate with the 3.55 gears. Something we wouldn't attempted with 4.11 gears. We run 62 to 65 mph, not to bad, stayed in the right lane and actually passed one car! Ran into light rain. One thing I didn't document yet, the windshield, vent windows and some of the window weatherstrip was bad when I got the car so I had the windshield and vent windows replaced with new glasses, the weatherstrip for the windshield, vent windows and weatherstrip on the rear glass replaced with steele products rubber. There's still a little water getting in from the window laces, guess that's next. The 3.55 gears are proving to be a good move. It's getting hot down here in Mobile! Looks like quite a challenge to put ac on a 6 volt positive ground car! Gotta hurry with the 58 plymouth for this weather! Once the sun went down it was nice. 

FB95IMG951559517521471.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/2/2019 at 6:23 PM, Bbdakota said:

<snip>when I got the car so I had the windshield and vent windows replaced with new glasses, the weatherstrip for the windshield, vent windows and weatherstrip on the rear glass replaced with steele products rubber. There's still a little water getting in from the window laces, guess that's next. The 3.55 gears are proving to be a good move. It's getting hot down here in Mobile! Looks like quite a challenge to put ac on a 6 volt positive ground car! Gotta hurry with the 58 plymouth for this weather! Once the sun went down it was nice. 

Scott, enjoyed the visit with you and your bride a few days ago, should have taken time to look at your Dodge but was able to beat the rush traffic in the tunnel. One of the axle shafts has been excised from your Dodge's former rear end and is on the shelf ready for use when needed. Thanks again! (A great shop building with a two-post lift!)

And yes......it is hot in Mobile.  :)  By the way, if you need more amps for the AC the 60A 6v alternator I put on the '48 seems to be working perfectly.

Did you find the Steele vent wing rubber to be a good fit? I need to replace the ones on the P15 and have seen some comments about the product that makes me wonder if that is the best way to spend $125....

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Glad you're going to get some use from the rearend and glad to have meet you and your wife! Also glad you didn't get stuck in traffic in the tunnel. I hate that tunnel and I go through it twice a day during the work week. 

I did replace my generator with a 60+ amp powermaster alternator that looks like a generator. It's just wishful thinking to put ac on the 48 although it would be neat to put ac on a 6 volt positive ground system. I'm sure I wouldn't be the first. 

The wing rubber from steele leaves something to be desired. Left a gap on my car between the vent window and door window. It's already ripped. 

I also replaced the cowl weatherstrip. It fit good but was a pain to replace. Looking fwd to reading more about your car! Thanks Sam. Scott.

I done the math, figured out the speedometer ratio adapter needed with the 3.55 gears. Come out to 1:1.3333 so I ordered it this week. Now the speedometer is right! The wife and I went crusin and stopped in for a banana split at the local mom and pop dinner. 

20190608_204029-1328x747.jpg

• Like 2

Hello,   You have a great car! It makes me want to take out my 48 Plymouth 2dr sedan for a cruise! I've had mine for 35+ years(I bought it so I had room for the car seat when my son was born 36 years ago!) I put a 53 Plymouth overdrive in it so I could handle the freeways here the Los Angles area. 

Enjoy the Ride!

Ernie 

My 48 Plymouth.jpg

• Like 1

Happy Father's day to all the fathers out there! 

So the shifter knob that was on my 48 was not original, it was a big aluminum knob and with each drive, was getting looser. I though the previous owner told me he had the original knob when I bought the car. Luckily, he didn't throw nothing away. The car came with boxes of parts. Including a bunch of new parts not yet installed like a whole box of different wiring harnesses. Anyway, I dug through the boxes and found the original shifter handle. And found why it's not on the car. The threads were completely stripped out.

pulled the aluminum handle off and it's not got the correct thread size. It was held on by wrapping the shifter with Teflon and other tape to make a tight push on fit. 

thought I'd try a heli-coil in the original shifter. Worked great! Nice and tight and should be better then new as far as holding force. 

took the 48 to the auto parts to buy the heli-coil kit Friday, then to the local cruise in Saturday evening. 

20190615_195148-1328x747.jpg

20190615_195110-1328x747.jpg

Edited by Bbdakota
  • Like 3

I cut open the old fuel tank this evening after work. Why? I was curious! Confirmed my decision to buy a new tank! Looks like a coating was applied but as you can see, it kept rusting. The top doesn't look to have a coating or it's only got a light coating. 

20190620_165815-1008x756.jpg

20190620_170034-1008x756.jpg

20190620_170139-1008x756.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I used to drive a 1950 Plymouth in the 80s with 4.1 differential and I can confirm that at 55 on the freeway, the engine was just screaming out for a 4th gear.  The 46-48 Chrysler sixes had the 3.55 diff. and my 1948 DeSoto has a 3.73 diff.  I don't know why the difference between a Chrysler six and DeSoto, but in 1949 Chrysler changed to 3.73.  but 4.1 is just to low speed a rear end.  Did all Dodges 46-48 have 4.11 diffs.?  Where did you get the 3.55 diff?  

5 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Did all Dodges 46-48 have 4.11 diffs.?  Where did you get the 3.55 diff

According to my shop manual, the rear axle ratio was determined by the model. D-19, D-22, D24, club coupe, 7 pass sedan, with or without fluid drive........There was 4 ratios available, 3.73, 3.9, 4.1 and 4.30. Then who knows if it's been changed in the past. I checked mine and found it had 4.1.

My donor rear was from my 58. Someone swapped it into the 58 and it didn't fit good. So I put a 8-3/4 from a e-body in the 58 and used this b-body 8-3/4 in the 48. Someone also put extra holes in the spring perch pads and that allowed me to use the stock 48 shock mount. 

20190723_043402-756x1008.jpg

20190723_043444-756x1008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 6:49 PM, greg g said:

You might want to put some thicker battery cables on. Zero gauge are recommended, 00 better.

Recieved the new cables, as suggested. I ordered 1/0. I had no trouble starting the car with the small cables currently on the car but cruisin the coast is fast approaching and I'll be relying on this thing starting when heat soaked.....for days. Just a little feel good insurance. 

20190801_152429-756x1008.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/1/2019 at 3:33 PM, Bbdakota said:

Recieved the new cables, as suggested. I ordered 1/0. I had no trouble starting the car with the small cables currently on the car but cruisin the coast is fast approaching and I'll be relying on this thing starting when heat soaked.....for days. Just a little feel good insurance. 

20190801_152429-756x1008.jpg

Are the cables "off-the-shelf" or custom-made? I have neg ground so would need the colors swapped.

1 hour ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Are the cables "off-the-shelf" or custom-made? I have neg ground so would need the colors swapped.

They are custom made by battery cables usa. I just measured the length I needed, choose the ends I wanted and they make um up. Very reasonable on the price, looks professional.

Edited by Bbdakota