P15 metric engine threads???

Sam Buchanan

First post after spending an unreal number of hours reading this forum after a '48 Special Deluxe sedan followed my home. Many thanks to all who contribute to the forum, a host of questions have been answered that has smoothed the process of putting the P15 back on the road.

In the course of repairing the manifold heat control and the carb I have run across some metric threads. I intended to replace the fuel bowl screws (one online site sells #10 screws for this application) but the screws on my carb appear to be M5.5x1.0. The stop stud for the heat spring also appears to be metric. Are metric fasteners normal or do I have a Canadian or somethin' engine in my P15? The carb is stamped with D6G1 M7.

45 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

don't overlook the odd today but then a standard #12 screw......

Yeah a #12-24 tpi screw would come real close to a 5.5M 1.0.

Yep, #12 is a bit odd now-a-days, can't recall ever using that size for anything. The carb screw mics 0.210"  (5.5mm) which is correct for #12. What was confusing is the pitch was perfect in a M1.0 gauge which is a bit finer than -24, maybe -28?. Guess I need to run down a handful of #12's from somewhere, looks like the big auction site has a good selection. The photo is a comparison of #12 and #10. 

Thanks again!

carb-screw.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan

3 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

McMaster Carr is a good source for screws.

Yes they are, used them many times for various ground and air projects. I'm sorta embarrassed about getting sidetracked on the metric thing, just wasn't expecting to find #12 screws that are so close to metric size. More educated now.  ;) 

Metrics???......BAH HUMBUG!!...........I ask people what are those things on the end of their legs?........metres or feet?...........every metric bolt I find I throw in the bin.........andyd

But metric is so much easier, I just count my fingers. With imperial, I have to break one of my fingers in half, quarter, etc, it bloody hurts.

• Haha 3

Always a point of view. If you grow up with one system it’s easy for you to use it and hard to use the other one. But with some practice you can use both systems. At least with the bolt and wrench sizes starting from 1/4”...

I grew up with both systems but as my cars, well, real cars have Imperial system fasteners I concentrate on those....I do have a full set of metric spanners and sockets but its interesting that even metric sockets use 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch square drives........lol.........I've also got a set of Shitworth spanners but as they are from the land that has Lucas fridges and warm beer I rest my case.........lol........give me a UNF/UNC/SAE nut or bolt every time..........lol.............andyd    

9 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

"Inch" in some languages is the same as "thumb".  "Foot" is obvious.  Twelve thumbs in a foot.  What could be more natural?   I remember a spoof on Noah and the ark, where Noa asks, "What's a cubit?" 

Where does one find twelve thumbs? 

Well.....I'm relieved see the finely honed craft of thread creep is alive and well on this forum!  Glad I was able to provide grist for the creep mill and that the thread is being enjoyed to its fullest. Carry on.   :)

• Haha 1

Sam.....hey its all good.........lol.........BTW.........has anyone said WELCOME ABOARD?.......lol..........well, welcome aboard...........regards from Oz..............andyd

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:07 AM, DonaldSmith said:

I wouldn't touch the metric system with a 3 meter pole. 

I believe the correct measurement would be a 3.048 meter pole.....

Edited by Kahunah
  • Haha 1

The saga continues......received a little bag of #12-24 filister-head screws today, rushed breathlessly out to the Plymouth to replace the carb bowl screws and.....no joy....turns out the screws need to be #12-28. Started looking and #12-28 screws like the ones in the carb are nearly unobtainable. There are a few socket-head and brass screws in this size but it seems this screw went out of style with '78's (records).

One of the holes in the carb bowl is missing about 3/4 of its threads and that's why I wanted to find some slightly longer #12's. It looks like the best option if the rest of the threads pull is heli-coils with modern threads. 

This is the charm of old cars.  :)

• Sad 1