Ignition Switch 1947 Plymouth

MarkAubuchon

39 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

My '47 needs an ignition switch, too. I don't have a key but a screwdriver works. I bought a tumbler set but haven't tried to install it yet. There are lots of universal switches on eBay but not much specifically listed for a '47 Plymouth. 

I disagree....there are  number of listing for switch as a unit and cylinders as a repair due to bad tumbler or lost keys....

8 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I disagree....there are  number of listing for switch as a unit and cylinders as a repair due to bad tumbler or lost keys....

Not if you're looking specifically for a 1947 Plymouth ignition switch. Or at least I can't find 'em that way.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312.R2.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.X194.TRS2&_nkw=1947+plymouth+ignition+switch&_sacat=0

edit to add:

This one would probably work but it doesn't show up in a search for a '47 Plymouth switch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-DODGE-NEW-OLD-STOCK-IGNITION-SWITCH-KEY-MOPAR-MADE-IN-USA-49-CHRYCO-DPCD/183710135809?hash=item2ac5fa3601:g:TesAAOSwqctceV8k

Edited by MackTheFinger

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

you are limiting yourself with a single year, single model an not using defining words such as Mopar and DPCD....

Without knowing exactly which years were compatible would limit the ability to do so. I'd just throw in a universal switch and be done with it.

Edited by MackTheFinger

don't understand the quote with no post.....are you operating within a specific price range.....as stated these are on here all the time.....you do not have to buy today evident by the screwdriver starting the car as you said.....just trying to give you a better search parameter....

14 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

Without knowing exactly which years were compatible would limit the ability to do so. I'd just throw in a universal switch and be done with it.

these switches were pretty much across the line up....the cylinders are the same I think through 68 BUT does have a different key guide and design.....the longer neck is what you really need for inserting into the dash and retaining the lighted collar.....

5 hours ago, MarkAubuchon said:

Where can I can find a replacement ignition switch?  Tumbler assembly just pulled out key and All, as I messed with it a couple of small pins dropped out never to be found.  Able to hot wire to get home.

Can get at most any auto parts store. The 49 and up work just fine.  They have the "start" , and accessory positions that would be unused in the 48 back, but work just fine.  The cylinder positions would be the same as they are now. On.  Off.   Have put them in more than one older ignition switch body.  I am talking just the tumbler (lock cylinder)here. Not the whole switch. Oh, you can also get one from the MoPar specialty guys.  They will take it out of the original box, and double the price for you to get the "rare" part. Wait, I see the under $15 cylinder is offered on eBay for $95. 

Edited by _shel_ny

11 minutes ago, _shel_ny said:

Can get at most any auto parts store. The 49 and up work just fine.  They have the "start" , and accessory positions that would be unused in the 48 back, but work just fine.  The cylinder positions would be the same as they are now. On.  Off.   Have put them in more than one older ignition switch body.  I am talking just the tumbler (lock cylinder)here. Not the whole switch. Oh, you can also get one from the MoPar specialty guys.  They will take it out of the original box, and double the price for you to get the "rare" part. Wait, I see the under $15 cylinder is offered on eBay for $95. 

yes...you can find a wide range of prices and offerings......some people just got to have that NOS stuff....big deep pockets....there are two low cost alternatives on there now in assemblies...many low cost tumblers...…..and no gun is at anyone's head....

9 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

yes...you can find a wide range of prices and offerings......some people just got to have that NOS stuff....big deep pockets....there are two low cost alternatives on there now in assemblies...many low cost tumblers...…..and no gun is at anyone's head....

Yup, I did not check all the offerings, but have seen them from time to time. I see Mikey pops up 1st on one link.  I have a new cylinder on the shelf in the garage:)  I also have a lock assembly (no cylinder) that I have had for 12-13 years sitting somewhere. Had it since my days of pillaging  sourcing at the old junk yard.  It came from a P15, but takes an odd cylinder.  Possibly a Hurd.  All I know is that it is different. The auto parts store one is not going to have the vintage MoPar key, but some can live with just a Pentastar key. Even an eBay one for $290 does not even have a nice old MoPar key.

Just got the info on the tumbler. The part I bought is Locksmart LC14400. I had James snap a pic with a smartphone but haven't received it. James is an absolutely lovely, devoted person with many positive points but his grasp of technology needs attention. He did, however; let me know that the package clearly states it fits 1949-1968 Chrysler. I believe I bought this on the recommendation of someone on this forum. James offered to attempt to install this assembly but he's getting on in years and would likely require extrication service after folding himself in half to access the underdash area. After all his years with the family I wouldn't like to risk causing him discomfort for something that isn't absolutely necessary at this time. 

Hopefully this information will be helpful. When, and more likely if; I receive the picture I'll be happy to post it. ?