Electric fuel pump

Doug&Deb

I’m thinking of adding an electric fuel pump to my 52 Coronet to help with cold starts and the occasional vapor lock. I still have the 6 volt positive ground system. Have any of you done this? I’m planning on keeping the mechanical pump and using the electric pump as needed. Any advice is appreciated.

I had a 1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan that was still 6V with an electric pusher pump on it feeding the mechanical. It worked real well. Make sure you get a pump that doesn't have too much outlet pressure, otherwise you will have to have a regulator to dial the pressure back so you don't overpower the float in the carb.

I also just installed a 12V electric fuel pump on my 1948 Plymouth, setup the same way as you are desiring. I've put about 50 miles on it with no issues so far.

I added a 6v electric fuel pump to my truck for that same purpose. At first I had it pumping through, or assisting, the mechanical pump. It all worked well. Be sure your pump can free flow when not running if you are only using it for priming, or an occasional assist. I got mine from Mac's, and it is rated at 3-4 psi. However, I found that it often times couldn't pump through my mechanical pump's check valves for priming. Not quite enough output pressure for that, I guess.

Last spring I ran a second fuel line from my pump up to the mechanical pump and plumbed the electric pump in parallel with the mechanical. The check valves within the pumps keep the circuits separated. Now I can prime my carb when it's been sitting for long enough to evaporate the carb dry, and I can also run it full time, if needed, to assist/replace the mechanical pump.

The simple way, if you have an inline clicker pump, is to find a mounting location near the fuel tank. Then route the line from the tank to the inlet of the pump. The outlet of the pump then connects the fuel line running up to the front of the vehicle. Wire your pump to a switch for activation.

The parallel plumbing version I mentioned above is a little more involved, and includes running a second fuel line and some tee fittings.

those specs is just 1/2 lb off.....I would not be much concerned....and I know you do not want a regulator but they are not expensive...just another item to mount is the most obvious of their use.    Follow instructions and do make note that you mechanical fuel pump MUST BE sound in the fact that it is not passing fuel into the crankcase......this will dump fuel in also if that were the case but at a faster rate.....

I got mine from MAC's. They specialize in antique Ford parts, but they have 6v pumps from Carter in the 2-4 psi range. This one looks different than what I got, but it should fit the bill for you.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_early/electric-fuel-pump-6-volt-2-4-lbs-pressure-top-quality-carter-brand-with-in-line-filter-ford-and-mercury.html

Here's an Airtex from Summit that looks like what I have.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8902?seid=srese3&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-dynamic-remarketing-_-srese3-_-airtex&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInZWX46Dk4QIVmBoBCh2YVgDLEAEYASAEEgIR1vD_BwE

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 1

This pump sure looks like the one from Mac's.  Way cheaper! Not for sure, but?

DJ

Carter Inline Electric Fuel Pumps P90091 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing.html

Edited by DJ194950

if you are only using the electric fuel pump just for priming then a regulator is not required. If full time then a regulator would be required.

I have used the Airtex Electric pump onmy 39 desoto for over 10 years without any issues.  MAC is buying the carter and then resale cost involved. I use my electric pump as a primer after the car has sat for a while.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I use a pump from Gast, works great. Since it is mounted to the frame I have it mounted on a rubber cushion. I too have a filter preceding the pump. I also have a safety dis connect via engine oil pressure, if engine kills due to accident, the pump shuts down. I got the method from Don .Coatney. 

• Like 2

Not to highjack Doug&Debs thread here but with all the fuel pump experience thought I might get an answer to a concern. I run only an electric pump. My old electric pump would build up pressure and stop but it was very noisy.  When turned on, my new one runs quieter but runs all the time. Even if the engine is not running. I’ve monitored the carb for any signs of overflow and there is not. Seems it should also stop as pressure is built up. Any ideas?

20 minutes ago, Ranger said:

When turned on, my new one runs quieter but runs all the time. Even if the engine is not running.

The above would concern me. Mine is off the ign switch, switch off pump off. 

6 hours ago, pflaming said:

I also have a safety dis connect via engine oil pressure, if engine kills due to accident, the pump shuts down. I got the method from Don .Coatney. 

In a local parade, a VERY nice Olds 88 caught fire, they had firemen all along the route so they minimized the damage, if he had had in electric fuel pump pumping fuel ????

My recently returned-to-the-road '48 Special Deluxe is running a Carter P4259 6v electric pump mounted near the tank as the sole means of pushing fuel to the carb. So far the engine seems to be very happy with the pump without a regulator. There is now a block-off plate where the old fuel pump was mounted on the crankcase. I ran the 12v version of this pump for several years on my StalkerV6 kit car with a carb and it functioned perfectly. The pump is wired to the ignition switch but I may add an oil pressure switch to the circuit....or may not...kinda adverse to adding single-point-of-failure modes to the system. The pump runs all the time when the ignition is switched on. It is barely audible at idle but not when the car is going down the road.

CRT-P4259_ml.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 2

Bought me an electric fuel pump about 5-6 months ago and put it in yesterday. Worked once and then poof. Man talk about pi**ed off. It was a Chinese pump so I got what I paid for. Will order an airtex here before to long, since people have had good luck with those.

Joe Lee

Sam, and others who have installed 6 volt electric fuel pumps and are happy with the results, that's great. None of the older vehicles I have at present are fitted with electric fuel pumps. The one vehicle I fitted with a 6 volt electric fuel pump years ago was my 1954 Lincoln Capri with a 4 barrel Holley carburetor. I switched on the electric fuel pump to fill the carburetor after the car had sat for a few days, when the clicking stopped I switched it off.As it was a 6 volt system it made for a quick start.Other than that the car was stock. I sold the car 15 years ago. I bought 6 volt fuel pump 20 years ago thinking I might install it...Still thinking about it. Reading this thread brought it back to mind and I wondered if I could find it in the garage, sure enough there it sits, still in the box awaiting installation. lol

855543405_6VoltFuelPump(1).JPG.55ab71ac19420da78cc0ab870632b88d.JPG