Diameter of Exhaust Pipe

Richard Cope

Hi,

Looking to replace the exhaust system on my 39 Plymouth (stock 201 engine w/ overdrive).  The current OD of the exhaust pipes are 1.75 in. from the muffler going forward and the OD of the tailpipe is slightly over 1.5 in.  I am looking at a ready made kit which uses 1.75 in. stainless for both pipes.  It seems that the slightly larger diameter tailpipe is a plus, however would like to get the opinion of those with more experience with the exhaust for flatheads. 

Appreciate your comments

Regards,

you seem to have found a  double plus, first is finding a bolt in replacement exhaust system mail order  and second that it is stainless...if the money is right....go for it..the slight increase in the rear pipe is maily due to the fact you cannot find anyone stocking 1.5 these days.

I have 2 inch id through out my system.  it not stainless and isgoing on 15 years old.  it was custom bent by a local shop. I believe they charged me 150 and I supplied the muffler.  they use the old pieces as a template so everything Is very close to its factory location.