Cargo Container Shed

linus6948

My friend with the excavator who helped me set it level has done a few and claims they are not looked at as permanent buildings but as exactly what they are shipping containers. If you hard wire them with electricity or build something on or attached to them that status changes. As far as I`m concerned I am restoring a vintage shipping container to ship my antique cars safely in when I need to ship them somewhere, that`s my story and I`m sticking to it. My 10+acres and residence are classified as a "Homestead" very rural area and generally they leave me alone here, my nearest neighbor is a fifth of a mile away and he thinks it`s great.  

3 hours ago, linus6948 said:

Apparently there a lot of factors involved in the price increases in new and used containers, found this article on the subject.

https://shipped.com/blog/new-and-used-shipping-container-prices-continue-to-rise-in-2018/

It seems weird that they blame steel pricing.  Most containers are made for recycled steel.  Scrap steel is at it's lowest price in years.  Somebody's making a lot of money if it's really increasing in price.  Not to introduce politics, but tariffs may play a part in that as a lot of the scrap available to China is sourced from the USA. 

I'm sort of glad scrap is cheap.  When it's high, we loose a lot of the source for our hobby to that market.

Container is looking good.

You mentioned roof between the barn and container. If you come off the barn to the far end of the container so it covers the top of the container it will help with condensation inside and keep it cooler. Add some insulation between the roof and top helps as well.

On construction sites they would lay these containers side by side and end to end and stacked 2 to 3 high to create side walls then bring in roof trusses and walls for the front and back of the building. Kept equipment storage and toolrooms in the containers as well as crew . We called them Sealand Cities

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I added some stainless steel 4in. vents to the container doors to add some much needed ventilation. I`am also adding 4 more of the industry standard vents, the container came with 2 installed which is the minimum required.

20190715_125756.2jpg.jpg

20190715_125727.2jpg.jpg

20190715_132837.2jpg.jpg

20190715_195249.jpg

20190715_191848.2jpg.jpg

Edited by linus6948
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 8:04 AM, greg g said:

Now to put a roof between the barn and container for a bonus storage space for out door equipment or if its wide enough a couple more project vehicles...

I did exactly that.  Twice.  I wanted an overhang on the side of my shop, but when I looked at the cost of building a support wall, a sea container was a better alternative instead.  I use the breezeways as much as the shop.  It's too hot in the shop in summer 2144723119_40ft.jpg.1b1e2fa8a0e10ebfefd30f46ee22dd51.jpg20ft.jpg.776118620ca3e57e1d09476ec09ebaa4.jpgsummer.

Edited by MarkB2PW
  • Like 1

I like the round hooded vents but they seem small.....have you considered surplus computer tower fans to help force the hot air out ? I mean they already run off a thermostat in the computer tower to cool it down when necessary.....how hard could it be to hook up to a low voltage home thermostat ?

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That`s funny Frank we think alike, I got five 12 volt cooling fans that I adapted Apollo 13 style and will power off a solar panel powered battery setup.

20190814_163714.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I changed out the 30watt solar panel for another 100watt panel and this time I found a deal on a Renogy monocrystalline panel and as advertised it out performs the existing Newpowa momocrystalline by about 4-5 volts in peak sun conditions. I now have twelve stainless steel vents in place and eight of them have 44cfm exhaust fans mounted on them. It sure makes quite a difference in the daytime temps of the container`s interior.

20190927_113238.2jpg.jpg

20190927_113311.2jpg.jpg

• Like 1