Cargo Container Shed

linus6948

I was considering a shed for my overflow of "stuff" that I seem to accumulate and I was able to convince my wife into allowing me to get a cargo container to put next to the 'barn" she let me put up about 8 years ago. So I set about finding one and after a lot of emailed quotes who all wanted pre-payment over the phone with a credit card surcharge and then a 7-10 day wait for delivery of whatever they choose to send you. All of these offers were coming from independent middle men most working from home.

I finally got lucky and reached a guy who was a paid employee and he sold them for the shipping company he worked for and we hit it off over the phone and he gave me an education and treated me like a long lost relative. He sold me a Grade A 40ft high cube container with overnight delivery cod and cheaper than anyone else who quoted me and those quotes I had gotten were all on Grade B containers. The education my new friend gave me was about the differences in the grades and when I told him what I could afford and about my wife he said he would send me a nice container. It came pulled by a company truck with a company driver who was also an hourly worker for the shipping company.

He was a man of his word and he sent me a nice condition container and now I`am painting it to keep the wife happy and so far so good.

Resized_20190416_085711_1014.jpg

Resized_20190416_085645_2681.jpg

Resized_20190415_145725_7370.jpg

Edited by linus6948

On 4/20/2019 at 1:06 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

these are handy to have...my first introduction to a repurposed container was with General Dynamics when we used theme as portal tool issue rooms.  I have thought about getting one myself, they sell them locally...I need a place to store some engines....

Honestly I could not have built much of a shed for the $2600 I paid for this container with the price of lumber being what it is today.

20190413_094424.2jpg.jpg

Edited by linus6948

On 4/20/2019 at 1:12 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

positioning a container where I would want it is basically my problem....

I was pretty lucky in that concern and the driver was very good at jockeying that box around to where I wanted it. The second bit of luck was my friend had his excavator down the road on a drainage dig and he came up and did the final positioning and leveling for me. 

20190416_140708_HDR1.jpg

Edited by linus6948

On 4/20/2019 at 7:03 PM, wldavis3 said:

I like it and the new paint job looks good too.

Thanks Bill, among my accumulated stuff were a couple of 20+yr old 5 gallon cans of Industrial Grade oil based paint. I mixed the heck out of it and it came back to life, went on easy, evened itself out nicely and actually looks pretty good. I am pretty sure this paint had lead in it, I felt like I was back in the Navy again, grinding off rust and painting everything gray.

20190430_1735241.jpg

Edited by linus6948
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good looking container and paint job. Those are showing up around here as apartments, either as a stand alone, or w/an addition built on the side. After painting and landscaping, they actually don't look too bad either. ?

1 hour ago, Dodgeed said:

Good looking container and paint job. Those are showing up around here as apartments, either as a stand alone, or w/an addition built on the side. After painting and landscaping, they actually don't look too bad either. ?

Thanks, the painting still goes on. today hopefully the roof will get done. The price of these containers has actually started to increase as demand for them has risen, as you mentioned they are being used for housing purposes more and more.

To quote my grandpa (who passed away in 1973), "I wish I had one like that and you had one better."  (He, being a farmer all of his life, of course said: "I wish I had a barn like that and he had one better."  It was his way of not being jealous....)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, greg g said:

Now to put a roof between the barn and container for a bonus storage space for out door equipment or if its wide enough a couple more project vehicles...

I had that same thought when I saw the picture. Would be easy to do. I'd keep it open ended on both sides for easy in and out. ?

On 4/22/2019 at 7:50 AM, linus6948 said:

Thanks, the painting still goes on. today hopefully the roof will get done. The price of these containers has actually started to increase as demand for them has risen, as you mentioned they are being used for housing purposes more and more.

I think the cost increase is probably due to trade flow changes.  The bigger the difference in goods flow in or out of the US the more containers are on shore here, that are not needed to to the other way.  Rather than ship empty ones overseas , they sell the surplus.

Imports down in relation to exports = price increase.

• Like 1

Apparently there a lot of factors involved in the price increases in new and used containers, found this article on the subject.

https://shipped.com/blog/new-and-used-shipping-container-prices-continue-to-rise-in-2018/

Zoning concerns?  Our town says you can erect, build or buy and place a 10x10 storage shed with no building permit or concerns about keeping a residential rating. When I needed a shed, I had two 9x12 buildings made delivered and installed really close together. the fact that they do not share a common wall where they come together is still my secret. two years ago we bought a prebuilt wooden 10x10 placed in another location, one suffices to hold garden tractors and gardening stuff and out door furniture in winter, the other bikes motorcycle P15 parts and snow blower. does your town or municipal authority get involved in permits or other regulations related to the placement of these containers?