Advice Needed On Potential Purchase

52b3b Joe

I’m looking for some thoughts on a project car I’m looking at. The car kind of came to me (I was definitely not looking for another project) and the only reason I’m contemplating this is because of what it is. It a 47 Desoto convertible that’s 30 minutes from my house. The car needs everything....rockers, fenders, tons of metal work to the body and doors, and everything else imaginable. The car is complete and has a clean title. The engine appears to be locked up, but I didn’t put much effort into try to spin it. It’s nothing I can’t handle, but I want to get a mental check on myself to see if I’m crazy! What do you think it is worth as it sits and do you think it’s worth it just because of how low production it is.

67ABD35B-9FFC-4286-B9BB-B9D80DCA74DC.jpeg

21308423-5C1D-4BCC-8CD0-D839D7776C0A.jpeg

8AB46AD2-A669-46C5-A826-18CF14A1FCE6.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the car has a suggested price on the tag....51K but I would not go that high myself...….

I got a good laugh out this comment! Lol this made my post worth it alone! 

51K is closer to the invested hours. Let alone cash output. Lol.  Go for it. I sure don’t see many Desotos around here. 

Pizzaro’s General, Desoto. The Conquistador. 

He told me there’s been no other interest and he’d take $500, or he is going to scrap it. I think I’ll buy it just so it doesn’t get crushed, but at the rate I’m going, I’m going to have to buy a warehouse building to store all this stuff and to work on it! I think $500 is pretty darn reasonable but it’s probably going to sit a few years waiting it’s turn. It’s hard to walk away at $500. 

• Like 2

The top mechanism is worth more than $500.00!

Well, it looks like another car is coming home with me. I secured storage at a friends house for now, and made a deal to purchase it. This will be the 3rd Desoto in the fleet now. I guess I’m crazy for not jumping on it sooner, but at this rate I’m going to have to open a car museum...

8 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I looked at another car myself this week....excellent sleeper car material....I hope the guy finds a buyer before he is forced to move, I left him a distress sale offer...he has confirmed if it does not sell this weekend the car will be at my house......me and my big mouth...!

I looked at the car on Wednesday night and politely passed on it because of how much they were asking, then yesterday he offered it up for the extremely reduced price. Sometimes they just follow you home I guess. 

when they come to you like that....its a OMEN..!

Long ago a friend asked me to appraise a car for his mother,  kinda outside the collector years at the time but being an unmolested two door car I told her what she could expect for the car should she find a buyer, the type that, hey may dad had one like this.  Couple months later I was told to come get the car for a ridiculous low price because his mother like the honest appraisal I gave her.   My problem is I know how to buy, I can't seem to get a handle on the selling side...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

a fully restored one would be worth north of 15k. If your want to spend the bucks to get it drive able, reliable and safe, it could be worth low teens. it would be a project but it does look like a good start. De Soto convertibles at pretty rare.  Mark Duggan just did the top and interior of a 47 Plymouth convertible so you could ask him the cost involved.  You can contact him through the RDUSAClassics.com website.  let him know I recommended the contact. 

5 hours ago, 52b3b Joe said:

I looked at the car on Wednesday night and politely passed on it because of how much they were asking, then yesterday he offered it up for the extremely reduced price. Sometimes they just follow you home I guess. 

Sell that oddball Ford to work on something worth repairing.?   Use the money received from that other car to pay for repairs on this one!

If you can do the sheet metal repairs then it not so much money, just a lot of time. Except if you want to redo the chrome on this!!  ?

At the very worst the parts sold will return 10 times your cost! I hope that it's not the cars fate. Really depends just how bad the rust is, enjoy the adventure!

DJ

I’m still kind of baffled a little, but the seller backed out after we had a deal... this has been an interesting experience. I had everything figured out with him and then he pulled the plug because of a better offer (even though he came back to me with the price?). To each their own. I’m disappointed but life goes on. Who knows, maybe next week he’ll be back because the other person is a no show. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

seen this many times......if you make a deal, get it in writing immediately.....I also get that puppy out of his area to mine immediately......sorry this happened to you.....I figure what goes around comes around and am sure he will regret this move...while he may not place the next unfortunate happening in his life as part of this....I would not say it would not be  PART OF THIS

couple deals back a guy welched on me....called and said I could have it for same price the other guy is offering as I was first to look I could have it same price as he is offereing...BUT...we had a deal on a lower agreed to price along with pick up date....the other guy flaked...I did end up with the car, my lower offer and moved the car next day.......but the aggravation was bit uncalled for.,...