Patina be gone......

Frank Elder

pretty cool, but several things that bugged me:

1. setting the semi-tubular rivets with a C clamp when a hammer and rivet setter would have been just as easy and less PITA

2. the way they folded over the tabs with a screwdriver seems a bit inelegant 

9 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

pretty cool, but several things that bugged me:

1. setting the semi-tubular rivets with a C clamp when a hammer and rivet setter would have been just as easy and less PITA

2. the way they folded over the tabs with a screwdriver seems a bit inelegant 

That "99 dollar C clamp" was a rivet setter look again at the surface he seats into the rivet. The part that seats in the head of the rivet fits right in there as does the other end is machined to spread the tail of the rivet properly.

I worked with jet aircraft for over 20 years and have bucked, popped, and snapped 100s of thousands of rivets in my day.......that is a tool made for hollow rivets.

15 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

That "99 dollar C clamp" was a rivet setter look again at the surface he seats into the rivet. The part that seats in the head of the rivet fits right in there as does the other end is machined to spread the tail of the rivet properly.

I worked with jet aircraft for over 20 years and have bucked, popped, and snapped 100s of thousands of rivets in my day.......that is a tool made for hollow rivets.

I know that...I think that the hammer version is faster and easier and seems less prone to offsetting the rivets since you aren't twisting it around like the C-clamp.  Previous job we extensively used semi-tubular rivets so I know a thing or two about them as well.

Don't know where you are quoting me from about a "99 dollar C clamp" either.....head scratch?

7 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

I know that...I think that the hammer version is faster and easier and seems less prone to offsetting the rivets since you aren't twisting it around like the C-clamp.  Previous job we extensively used semi-tubular rivets so I know a thing or two about them as well.

Don't know where you are quoting me from about a "99 dollar C clamp" either.....head scratch?

Not quoting you...... thats what we used to call it....lol. I wouldn't  want a hammer near that new powder coat myself.

14 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Not quoting you...... thats what we used to call it....lol. I wouldn't  want a hammer near that new powder coat myself.

bah...did it all the time and even on FEF with the split rivet setting!

• Like 1

is there a Barrett Jackson for toys now??? I have a Tonka cab over semi truck white cab and trailer logoed in green for Green Giant Vegetables.  Got it for Christmas in 1956/7 from my uncle who worked in the local A&P warehouse.  I have heard from a couple of Tonka gurus that there were only 500 of these made and they were given to top selling A&P stores to be used as promotional give aways.  He gave me one along with his son who was a year older, mine is still in fine condition, my cousin blew his up with a cherry bomb that first summer... Don't envy the life of some toys.

Now days there is a website dedicated to almost everything. Sure there are some Tonka dedicated and some general collectible toy sites.

A quick search on the web will find some and a answer to your Q. Also most likely some toy auction sites on the web.

Some are worth some big bucks in my OP, but I do not collect so it is worth really nothing.  ? Hope yours is worth enough to temp you to sell??

DJ

I sold 5 red rim(?) Hot Wheels cars out of box VERY gently used for $100...

Also sold most of my farm implement toys about 20 years back...a few went for several hundred dollars each used and abused and some went for less than what the price tag still said on the ones still in the packaging....

all depends on what someone is willing to pay for and how much they want it.

• 2 months later...