1950 Plymouth DeLuxe Club Coupe vs Special DeLuxe Club Coupe

dhrandy

I'm wondering what the difference between the Special DeLuxe Club Coupe and the DeLuxe Club Coupe.  I'm starting to think my Plymouth may not be the Special DeLuxe and just has the badges.  The only thing I know the Special had is the wood grain dash, but I've seen others online that don't have it.  Mine has a black painted dash, but the car has also been restored at one point in it's life. My Plymouth doesn't have turn signals or a radio, it does have the blank plate instead of the radio. It does have oil filter and a hand brake. 

A couple of ways the models differ...

The Special Deluxe had a horn ring instead of a button. 

The windshield in a Special Deluxe had stainless steel trim around the windshield and the Deluxe had plain black rubber surrounding the windshield.

Hope this helps.

Harold

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

suggest an inquiry to the Chrysler Historical Society, proof of ownership, application and money paid and you should be able to get the IBM card along with a decode for your vehicle.

last I've heard they are providing a little less in the way of decoding the build cards and no longer charging for the service

15 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

suggest an inquiry to the Chrysler Historical Society, proof of ownership, application and money paid and you should be able to get the IBM card along with a decode for your vehicle.

Just from Googling, I can't find the website anymore.  It just goes to the corporate Fiat home page.

13 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

A couple of ways the models differ...

The Special Deluxe had a horn ring instead of a button. 

The windshield in a Special Deluxe had stainless steel trim around the windshield and the Deluxe had plain black rubber surrounding the windshield.

Hope this helps.

Harold

So I do have the stainless steel trim and horn ring. I also found a list of features in a brochure that I've attached. I do have a few things on the list. Here's a link to the brochure for anyone interested. Plymouth Brochure I found the brochure online and it has separate jpg images, so I place them all in a pdf to make it easier to go through. 

SpecialDeLuxe Features.JPG

• 5 months later...

so I happened to be looking for a new hand brake cable for my 1949 Plymouth Suburban .  Found one on ebay.  They asked to specify whether the car was a P17/P19 Deluxe (with 111 inch wheel base)  OR  a P18/P20 Special Deluxe (118 inch wheelbase). Maybe this information applies to your car.  My car has a 111 inch wheel base and the standard 3 speed transmission without the tail extension. The 1949 Plymouth Station Wagon (P18) has a tail extension on the transmission and a 118 inch wheel base. Regards.

I believe after looking at a 49 parts book that the P18 has the long tailshaft and the P17 shorter.

So to me the correct one would be for the P18. Specs of the front sheet metal thru dash are the same.  Wheelbase does not play a role in the different length of the brake cable just the case overall length to the brake band mechanism.

There are different parts #'s for the P17 and P18 which I believe is due to trans length.

DJ

Features of the Special Deluxe could be installed as options on the Deluxe.     Here are features that would likely be found on the Special Deluxe:.   Dome light switch on the driver's side and a door switch on the right hand A pillar.  (Deluxe had the dome light switch on the rhs)  Horn ring, radio panel, chrome highlights on the window garnish moulding, chromed vent pane frames ( Canada)  bypass thermostat, oil filter,  interior handles had a plastic overlay on the bezels  

Heaters, turn signals dashboard clock are all dealer installed options and could be found on both series.

On 4/16/2019 at 11:52 AM, dhrandy said:

I'm wondering what the difference between the Special DeLuxe Club Coupe and the DeLuxe Club Coupe.  I'm starting to think my Plymouth may not be the Special DeLuxe and just has the badges.  The only thing I know the Special had is the wood grain dash, but I've seen others online that don't have it.  Mine has a black painted dash, but the car has also been restored at one point in it's life. My Plymouth doesn't have turn signals or a radio, it does have the blank plate instead of the radio. It does have oil filter and a hand brake. 

Turn signals were optional back then as were radios.   Which is why your car has a radio cover plate instead of a radio.   All cars had hand brakes, though, as part of the braking system.