Soft or firm leaf springs

sser2

According to my parts catalog, 1937 P4 was equipped with either soft or firm leaf springs. Firm springs were the same as used in the P3 economy version. Soft springs have more leaves and leaves are thinner. In particular, soft springs have twin main leaves, while firm springs have single main leaf.

What is the difference in ride characteristics between soft and firm springs?

Can't offer any "experienced" opinion.  That said, modern cars have tighter, "chrisper" rides than pre war cars.  Soft rides in the 30's implied luxury.  But at todays' speeds and better roads, I'd sure opt for the firm springs for driving in Calif. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the great advise. I was leaning the other way, thought that soft springs are better, but was having difficult time finding replacement for my two broken springs. It seems like soft springs were more prone to breaking - there is more offering of firm springs in good condition.

Do you like a lot of body roll in corners along with a soft ride?? That  was available with the soft springs! The roads back then could be very rough. Not so much anymore with a few exceptions.

They were bad at controlling the body roll as original, but a compromise for the times.

Now with very overall good roads tighter springs and heavier anti-roll bars are the norm!

DJ