51 2 1/2 ton flathead 6 head question

Pulled the head off my 2 1/2 ton flathead & was ready to replace the gasket & noticed a hole in #6 combustion chamber about the size of a "BB".

There is a brass plug on the top of the head that seems to correspond to that hole.  What is that for?  I have a spare engine for parts I pulled the head off of & it has the same hole in it.  Please help!  Need to get this beast back on the road.

So water does not run through the head @ that point?  Reason I am asking is because I had the truck @ idle & my son & I were bleeding the brakes.  All of a sudden white smoke started coming from under the hood & out of the exhaust.  Shut it down, looked under the hood & you could smell anti-freeze.  Figured the head gasket blew.  That is what prompted me to pull the head & order a head gasket.  When going to re-assembly I noticed the hole in the combustion chamber.  Pulled the head on my parts motor & the same thing.  Just trying to ensure it is supposed to be there.  Thanks for the reply!

The hole is there to check engine timing in relation to piston TDC with  special timing tools... one type shown here...

Now days a timing light works just fine...

Timing tool Weidenhoff.JPG

• Like 2