Engine Break in recommendations

40desoto

Got my rebuilt motor back from

the shop in December and looking into getting it started on an engine stand in the next month or so.

When I got it from the shop, they simply recommended a break in oil and to change it after the break in period.  Any other recommendations?

ie: priming oil pump, what type of oil for break in? 

I would like to run it a bit on the engine start to eliminate any small issues and adjust the valves before dropping into the car.

Its a 1954 265 Chrysler

Any other advise is appreciated.

What all was done to it. I just used break in oil primed the oil pump ran it up to temp a couple of times, rechecked head torque and then drove it normally. I didn't change the cam tho, and that may need more attention if done, but not sure on that.

1954 265 is a real good engine. Set the valves when its hot. They run at various temps. Even in a newly rebuilt engine. 

I’d try not to run the engine at the same rpm for long periods.  Nor rev it too high. Some City driving, a lower speed country drive followed by a few busts of higher speed should do it well. Work that throttle. I might dump the oil and filter after a good initial run. Get any possible contaminants out. 

If you have a new cam, I've always read that you should run the engine at about 2000 rpm for 20 minutes when the engine is first started.  After that, I agree with varying the rpm and power demand as you drive.  I wouldn't rev it up too much, but I would think 2500 rpm would be a good limit for the first couple hundred miles, then gradually increase that over the next few hundred miles.  About 16 - 17 years ago, I spoke to someone at a piston ring manufacturer (can't remember which company) and he said that once I've stepped on the gas pedal at near-full throttle under load (not high rpm) about 5 or 6 times, the rings are basically broken in.  I got the impression this was just for a few or a couple of seconds at a time.

These are just my own take on things based on what I've read and what I've done, although my experience is much more limited than that of others on this forum.

Edited by Matt Wilson