49 Plymouth Conv - Install 350 cu.in/Rear end/ master Cyl

Oldtimelampshop

On 4/13/2019 at 8:32 AM, Oldtimelampshop said:

Hello 

I’m looking for any guidance

i bought a 49 Ply Conv about 8 years ago and haven’t had time till now to get it on the road.

im missing starter, flywheel torque, etc  so have elected to install a 350 engine from my first car a 72 monte that’s been fully rebuilt just sitting on the stand. And turbo auto trans.

my goal is simple swap to Enjoy car not a restoration or full modification hot rod. Just simple and safe to drive me and the kids around.

I bought the offset mounts from Butchs Cool Stuff and the Master Cylinder that should be bolt in 

my cousin is very good at car work and going to help me with this all but never done it in a car like this.

Anyone have experience and can give tips on doing this swap???

1. Radiator - keep original? Add cooler? Is there an aluminum drop in? Modifications?

2. Engine to fit - looks like the heater duct pass sides needs removed? Battery drivers side needs relocated?  Any other 

3. Rear end - should I keep original?  Pros/cons?  I do have a 55 chevy rear that I could put in?  Who is recommendation for driveshaft 

4. Brakes - keep front original or disk?

5. Tips on the engine and transmission swap install

6. Tips on anything else!

next will be floors and rockers in the car.

thank you in advance!

6B70D1B5-2CBD-4858-8C73-A5325C2178C7.jpeg

6BC00AE1-9323-448F-8A96-B0596C51F4EB.jpeg

EE60A468-717B-45A0-89E2-B39659E25E34.jpeg

Your car, your money, do whatever you like..    But as others have said your on the p15d24 site, not the resto-mod   or how to put a 350 chevy in your mopar.   Your just in

the wrong forum.  Ditto for selling parts.  As also mentioned go over to Hamb as there are tons who have discused putting a sbc or v8 into this that or something else.

Here is the link.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

As for Don C post with lamps etc..    Dear moderator,  please lock this thread before it gets silly.

• Like 1

Whoever runs this site, yes please remove the post.  It’s sad that fellow car guys of any type would treat my post as you all have.

in the end, it will be another classic car on the road again and enjoyed.   

And 55 Fargo, my go fund me comment was a joke to all the foolish comments.  I don’t need one to anything I’d like with the car.

and Don Coatney, I’m still waiting on that offer.  Can’t say it will tempt me. Depends on if your true in the interest or blowing smoke.

Thanks anyway guys 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, 50plymouth said:

Your car, your money, do whatever you like..    But as others have said your on the p15d24 site, not the resto-mod   or how to put a 350 chevy in your mopar.   Your just in

the wrong forum.  Ditto for selling parts.  As also mentioned go over to Hamb as there are tons who have discused putting a sbc or v8 into this that or something else.

Here is the link.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

As for Don C post with lamps etc..    Dear moderator,  please lock this thread before it gets silly.

I think you and others have never read the logo for this site.  Now you and others on this thread have successfully driven off a new forum member, it's a wonder this forum is still alive with posts like this.

Perhaps you, and you know who you are here, should stay on the POC forum?  Isn't that the zero tolerance place?

p15d24relaunchlogo.png.00deb344b8710ef9a2195a560a66e175.png

If the guy wants to drop a SBC in it, that's his business.  What isn't cool is some here just can't accept anything but stockers....  This site is for both!

Edited by Adam H P15 D30
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

I think you and others have never read the logo for this site.  Now you and others on this thread have successfully driven off a new forum member, it's a wonder this forum is still alive with posts like this.

Perhaps you, and you know who you are here, should stay on the POC forum?  Isn't that the zero tolerance place?

If the guy wants to drop a SBC in it, that's his business.  What isn't cool is some here just can't accept anything but stockers....  This site is for both!

Adam,

Feel free to swap in any mill you want.

The same goes for the OP, his car, his money, his choice.

You see it a certain way and so do I and many others.

Old Lamp doesn'thave to leave, but with his plans he is going to be a minority around here.

Customs or stock flathead 6s or V8s, did not notice anything goes but maybe it does now.

This site is and has been getting watered down for years now.

I realize we all have different tastes, but we should be promoting Ma Mopar shouldn't we?

4 minutes ago, 55 Fargo said:

Adam,

Feel free to swap in any mill you want.

The same goes for the OP, his car, his money, his choice.

You see it a certain way and so do I and many others.

Old Lamp doesn'thave to leave, but with his plans he is going to be a minority around here.

Customs or stock flathead 6s or V8s, did not notice anything goes but maybe it does now.

This site is and has been getting watered down for years now.

I realize we all have different tastes, but we should be promoting Ma Mopar shouldn't we?

I can't speak for the owner, but I'll bet he changed to logo to keep this site active and relevant.  Much the same as Goodguys and others keep extending the cut off years to their shows, they smelled death.  Keep this stuff up and this forum will get as dead as the POC forum.  I really don't remember the OP asking for anyone's approval for his choice.

Since we have ALL successfully driven this thread completely off the rails, it will probably be locked and another future contributor will be gone.  Now we can all go back to our usual and stale arguments, excellent job guys!  Fresh minds / fresh ideas?  not here....

• Like 2

Just couple of points I would like to make;

1.  Yes, it is your car at this moment in time but really, we are all just custodians of these wonderful automobiles. You may pass it down to another, let it rot, or sell it on when you  have enjoyed it, however, we should always consider our own mark of its history. It may not be a full classic or a rare machine this time in its history but this may change in 10, 30, 100 years time.

2. By installing another engine it doesn't mean it will be safe, or more safe, that will come down to the quality of the workmanship not the type of engine or drive train installed. It will probably cost less  in money and time to put it back to an original engine, as others have mentioned, they are not rare and readily available. If you have never done an engine transplant before, it will take much longer than you think, give you lots of head scratching.

My 2 cents worth. It's a beautiful car by the way.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 5:32 AM, Oldtimelampshop said:

Hello 

I’m looking for any guidance

i bought a 49 Ply Conv about 8 years ago and haven’t had time till now to get it on the road.

im missing starter, flywheel torque, etc  so have elected to install a 350 engine from my first car a 72 monte that’s been fully rebuilt just sitting on the stand. And turbo auto trans.

my goal is simple swap to Enjoy car not a restoration or full modification hot rod. Just simple and safe to drive me and the kids around.

I bought the offset mounts from Butchs Cool Stuff and the Master Cylinder that should be bolt in 

my cousin is very good at car work and going to help me with this all but never done it in a car like this.

Anyone have experience and can give tips on doing this swap???

1. Radiator - keep original? Add cooler? Is there an aluminum drop in? Modifications?

2. Engine to fit - looks like the heater duct pass sides needs removed? Battery drivers side needs relocated?  Any other 

3. Rear end - should I keep original?  Pros/cons?  I do have a 55 chevy rear that I could put in?  Who is recommendation for driveshaft 

4. Brakes - keep front original or disk?

5. Tips on the engine and transmission swap install

6. Tips on anything else!

next will be floors and rockers in the car.

thank you in advance!

Hello Oldtimelampshop,

That's a good looking convert you have there, glad to see it's being saved and enjoyed as they are meant to be.  Some suggestions below:

1. Champion makes a good radiator and the hose connections will be in the proper locations for your SBC.  I would add an external plate type transmission cooler in front of the radiator.

2. You may have to do some inner fender panel work to clear the heads and exhaust.  Also set the engine to the passenger side a little to clear the steering box, exhaust (headers or manifolds) will probably be a trial and error type situation but hey that's hotrodding...

3. I would look for an explorer 8.8 rear axle.  Bolt pattern will be correct, many gear ratios, EZ to find parts, come in disc or drum brakes.  Tape measure will be your guide.  OR I used a Falcon 8" Ford RR in my 49 and it was a perfect fit but depending on the HP of the SBC, an 8" might be too light duty...  I have used Denny's driveshaft for many hotrods and they have always been perfect.

4. Definitely go to disc brakes.  I recommend Olddaddy's brake kit and he is a forum member here.  Also excellent support with off the shelf parts.  rustyhope.com

5. A SBC swap shouldn't be a mind boggling as some here would have you believe.  You will have to cut out the existing transmission crossmember and fab a new one but that's easy.  If we can stuff a SBC in a model A and keep the hood, this should be easy.  If you run into length problems, the radiator can be mounted on the front side of the radiator support for a few inches.

6. Take your time and enjoy the journey.  Problem solving is essential to a modified build, anyone can bolt together a stocker but it takes a real man to cut one up :)

Good luck, enjoy the build for what it is and in the end you will have a car that anyone can jump in and drive, crafted with your own hands...

Adam

• Like 3

I agree with some on the SBC  I have a 50 Ply. with one . (I now wish I kept the flat six now as I probably would be driving it now instead of 75% finished after 15 years) . I do know and have watched for years now on this forum a small bock Mopar motor would be so much more welcomed on this here than the Chevy.

I kno0w and understand his reason for this and some support to get another old Mopar on the road is Good.

Adam, I hope you can somehow send him a  Mailing of you last post and welcome back to this forum!

I see both sides of this But no reason to bust someones balls over Their choice!

JMO!

DJ

• Like 4

The first response to the OP that answered his questions. I hope things go well for the OP on the swap. I found for myself I haven't received the support I been looking for when asking questions about my car. After seeing the "support" for the new member, my feelings for this site has diminished. As a young guy myself I'm trying to learn all I can. It's great this site I'd dedicated to our older mopars, not many sites are but in all my latest questions,  I got more flack then support. For myself with my 1942. I was shamed for thinking of customizing the car and not spending 10s of thousands to restore the where its fate was to be a rat rod or lawn art. I was pushed to sell the car to some one who would restore it because of it being a rare car. Our cars right now might be rare but not valuable. Of the OP wants to put in a sbc in HIS car so he can enjoy it the way he wants to add value to him then I'm all for it. To him it's easier. He understands the sbc, if this post was never made, you wouldn't have known of this car, guess what a lot of unknown cars rot away. This car will be on the road again. 

I bet that version of that car is rare being a 2dr convertible.  Guess what that means for everyone? It's a car that will hopefully soon be enjoyed by the owner and others will have the pleasure to see in person

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Well Adam -    Ive looked at the Banner -   I dont see put a chevy v8 in your car..  But you have totally missed the point.

There are a number of people, some who have posted on this thread who have successfully made it such an uncomfortable place that not a few but many many have long ago left.

My point was, exactly what he wants to cover is covered in detail on several different threads on Hamb.  Why in the world should the person not get a lead into

exactly what he wants to do ?     

I do think and have suggested more than once that just as there is a p15-d24 forum  and a mopar flathead truck forum,  etc etc,   There should be a  forum where

a lot of the custom stuff belongs.      You Adam are dead wrong that I an many others are all about keeping them stock.   I am many are all about keeping them

Mopar and that Sir is a world of difference.   

If the owners of the p15d24 sight wish to have the all breed  mix and match, v8, v10, v6 or whatever coupled with turbo 400s, t5 and whatever else can be dreamed

up thats cool,  I just dont think it belongs on he P15d24 forum. Not to be confused with the p15d24 website.

This site is far from the only resource on the internet, and quite honestly with some of the "free advice" often tossed out there, its as likely to misinform

that help some on many topics.

So yes I realize you will not have lots to say and a big rant..   You have not posted several times on the thread sounding somewhere between a self styled expert

and self styled policeman.    But replying to me, save your breath, I wont be reading it..  Ill save everyone the time and sign off for the final time..   Id rather not catch

the 350 chevy, or 460 ford flu..

Carry on.

• Like 1

Oldtimelampshop,

With the SBC swap, you’ll have difficulty with the steering column interfering with the exhaust manifold and pipe routing, even if you shift the engine to the right. The limit is the frame rail and room for the right motor mount. You may need to graft in a rack & pinion setup for this reason. A Mopar V8 has the advantage that a 1960/1970 exhaust manifold can wrap around the steering column (also makes posters here less excitable). Any V8 is a tight squeeze between the radiator core support an firewall. You’ll have to modify both; the extend differs between early and late 1949 models and the water pump you choose.  A 1970’s Challenger radiator fits within the core support with the top bar cut an welded 1” forward. You may need to modify the transmission tunnel if you plan to use an overdrive automatic. For sure you’ll need to modify the inner fenders and the wiring harness. Obviously, installing a V8 is more work than rebuilding the L6, but could be less costly depending on your sourcing. Please post pix of your progress. 

12 hours ago, Oldtimelampshop said:

Whoever runs this site, yes please remove the post.  It’s sad that fellow car guys of any type would treat my post as you all have.

in the end, it will be another classic car on the road again and enjoyed.   

And 55 Fargo, my go fund me comment was a joke to all the foolish comments.  I don’t need one to anything I’d like with the car.

and Don Coatney, I’m still waiting on that offer.  Can’t say it will tempt me. Depends on if your true in the interest or blowing smoke.

Thanks anyway guys 

What post do you want removed? If it is the one where I posted a link to your web page and your photo I simply googled your oldtimelampshop handle. No offense intended and I have not commented on nor slammed your intended modifications. Call me a tire kicker but I do not have an interest in buying your car. I thought perhaps others on this forum might be interested.

Look guys it’s all fine.  

I was not trying to open Pandora’s box with my asking some guidance from others who are more knowledgeable on my task at hand.

my comment was the entire post since it obviously has caused an issue.  But I’m fine with leaving it up. Doesn’t bother me.

i was recommended to come to this website for assistance.  In my spare time from family and kids I use my iPhone to look at hobby stuff so sometimes it’s difficult to navigate.  Perhaps I picked wrong forum on here, or wrong site all together.  But there are knowledgeable people everywhere 

As I said, I get it that everyone has an opinion and that’s okay.  It’s just one thing to express your view and leave it at that. 

I thank the latest posters who had some helpful items to look at.

and yes, my cousin has done some stuff like this to other cars so it will be done as professional as can be as he’s very good.

thank you 

• Like 4

Jesus guys,....give'm a break!  Get a life.

Oldtime,...hang in there.  Many in this group (especially those that comment a lot) get their shorts in a bunch at anything non stock.  One even stressed about a water pump with a grease nipple where the stocker had none,....or maybe it was the other way around????

I would only add,....re the 8 & 3/4" rearend,  there are many 8 &1/4" Mopar rearends available and cheap and many a direct bolt-in.  Plenty robust and yields the same bolt pattern.as the front or Ford wheels. *:-O surprise

Just gett'r done and enjoy with your family.!

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Ajgkirkwood said:

Ok so what I'm seeing in this thread is everyone flaming the OP because of his plan to use the 350. That said. Who would pitch in on a go fund me for him to buy a new to him monte carlo to drop the motor in and help him with the starter, flywheel etc.

I got some flywheels, idk if it work cause they are 8 bolt. 143 tooth I believe 

Agreed.

Having looked through yet another series of trash the op posts, its the same fellas creating 92% of the butt-grease again.   Too bad, another new member shot in the face for asking how to achieve his goals with his car. 

OP, Good Luck, a 350 is a solid motor for your car and modern traffic requirements.  Enjoy, and if ya please, post a pic or two once its installed.   (My 37 is getting a 5.7 Vortec and 4l60E so I can go anywhere and so wife can drive it....hmmmmmm....sounds familiar.  I even posted about it but never got the shxty welcome you got for your question.  Sorry bout that.  Hope you come back some.)

Edited by Sharps40
  • Like 2

MikeMalibu is correct in that it will take a lot more work and lot more money to put a V8 in that one thinks. The steering along is a pain in the butt. You will have to have a custom made Rack & Pinion as the frame is such that the V8 will not allow a regular steering box. Now that said, I did see one, some years ago, where the box cleared, the engine was off set to the right.  But it was so close I would worry about the manifold heat over time on the steering box.

In my case I am working on replacing my trans with a modern automatic. I am also looking at using a set of GM late 1980's single injector throttle bodies on an Edmunds manifold so I have computerized FI and a MSD box.  Will I get double the HP, of course not.  But it will do for driving every say for another 20 years. If I do it right with a 265, I hope to hit the 130 HP target.

• Like 1

James_Douglas

one of my first hopes was to simply change out the trans.  I did look at some options and the company who makes adaptors but they were around a grand.   I bought the 1” offset mounts from Butchs Cool Stuff so hoping this will be the trick for getting the engine in okay.   My floor does need new pans so can cross any clearance issues with trans during floor repair time.

mrwrstory

thanks good to know. I’m not fixed on a rear and can put in it anything that makes sense.  Does anyone know which would be good or better options for a more direct bolt-in type replacement??  This would definitely be very helpful information.  I’d love to keep stock rims and wide white walls on the car as a first choice.

don_coatney good list. I assume this can narrow down finding the better replacement rear.

You're gonna end up spending more on it than it's worth so you may as well be happy. There's nothing wrong with a good old SBC. Good power, parts swapping is easy, you can find them almost anywhere. What's not to like? Well, maybe the oil leaks but what's a little oil drip among friends? ?

You're starting out with a nice car, good luck with whatever you choose to do!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldtimelampshop said:

don_coatney good list. I assume this can narrow down finding the better replacement rear.

I went with a 3.55/1 8.25 from a 74 Charger. That was about as close to a bolt in as is possible. Follow this link for photos.

https://smg.photobucket.com/user/DonCoatney/library/Differential?page=1

• Like 1

Something to keep in mind with "bolt in " 8 3/4 rear ends.  The cars from the 60's and 70's may have wider leaf springs than the 30's-40's-50's cars, so the "feet" or whatever you call the part that sits on the springs  may need to be changed to a narrower part from an old rear. This was the case with my 39.  Don't try using the newer wide feet on the narrow springs.  I did, the U bolts didn't hold properly, and it sheared off the top of the bolt holding the leafs together.  The rear shifted back on the spring, and I was lucky to be close enough to home to drive it back crabbing down the road at an angle.  Get the proper sized part for your width of spring.

A final point to make in regards to all the fuss over modifying a car.  If my 39 coupe hadn't been hot rodded some 45 years ago,  it wouldn't be around today.  45 years ago there was little interest in an old Dodge, and even less when Iacocca was making K cars.  Ford guys used to call us the ugly cars.  Whatever is done to a car can be un-done.  Check the HAMB  for  32 ford projects using cars pulled out of creeks, or  one down under pulled out of an orchard.  A v8 equipped car can easily be made back into an inline 6. There is a lot of sheer talent out there,  and even more determination.  As long as we like them and take them out and drive them, 4, 6. 8,  doesn't matter.

brian

• Like 4

First, it's his car and he can do whatever he wants.

Second, he is asking for help. If you have something productive to add, please join the conversation.

Third, if you disagree with his approach you may state your reasons in a respectful manner, never forgetting it's his car and he can do what he pleases.

Lastly, he is welcome on the site and to ask these types of questions. Maybe if you present a logical and respectful argument he will consider other option. Or you will get a better understanding of why he wants to follow a particular approach.

Enough of this bickering, thread locked.

• Like 6